LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Westmoreland, Kansas

Westmoreland, Kansas

The community of Westmoreland is nestled in Rock Creek Valley where Oregon Trail travelers once camped. Graves and wagon ruts remain in the area of this pioneer oasis. The town was surveyed in 1867, and was incorporated as a city in 1871. It is the County Seat of Pottawatomie County which was organized in 1856 and named for the Pottawatomie Indian Tribe, whose reservation at that time included part of the County.

The City was named Westmoreland by John McKimmons, the first postmaster, after his home county in Pennsylvania.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Westmoreland City Pool

The Westmoreland City Pool was constructed in 1991. Swimming lessons are available in the summer and the pool can also be rented for private parties. Adjacent to the pool is a shelter house and playground, all of which are part of Dechairo Park.

Westmoreland, KS

Old City Well

Westmoreland's Historic Hand Dug Well was constructed in 1914, as 40

Westmoreland, KS Landmarks

Summerville Cabin

The Summerville cabin was built in 1867. It was donated to the Rock Creek Valley Historical Society in 1993 and is part of the museum complex. The log cabin has a loft and stairway. Extensive restoration was necessary prior to the grand opening in 1999

Westmoreland, KS Pioneer Life

Pottawatomie County Courthouse

The Pottawatomie County Courthouse located in Westmoreland is constructed of native limestone. It was built in 1884, and is the second oldest courthouse in the state.

Westmoreland, KS Historic Courthouses

City Parks

Westmoreland has beautiful parks that include Dechairo Park and the American Legion Park. Dechario Park is situated on the East side of town along Highway 99

Westmoreland, KS Recreation

Things to do near Westmoreland, KS

Herington City Lake(s) Fishing

The Lake and Reservoir offer bass, wiper,walleye, catfish etc..... Wipers Good up to 10 lbs Wipers should provide good ...

Sage/Laverty Residence

This house, built in the early 1880s was originally a four room house, owned by Frank I. Sage. Mr. Sage added four more rooms...