While you're in the Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge, be sure to visit the Holy City of the Wichitas, an interesting manmade intrusion that is historic in its own right. Built as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project during the 1930's, the Holy City is located on 110 acres and features 22 native granite buildings including the c. 1936 World Chapel. A natural amphitheater is the setting for the nation's longest running Easter passion play in America, The Prince of Peace.
Holy City was founded by Reverend Anthony Mark Wallock who viewed the Wichita Mountains as resembling the hills and mountains of the Holy Land. The Chapel of the Holy City, built of native stone, was completed in 1936. The design, inspired by a church in Alexandria, Virginia, is reminiscent of an Old World Temple. In the interior of the Chapel are wood carvings, paintings and murals of the Biblical days of Christ in 1933. Government land in the Wichita National Forest Reserve was designated by the U.S. Government for the site of the Holy City and its Easter Pageant. The nationally famous Easter Pageant is a dramatization of the life of Christ held on Easter Eve.
This annual event is held the Saturday evening before Easter.
Admission: FREE VIEWING
The Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge is located 25 miles northwest of Lawton, Oklahoma. From Interstate 44, take exit 45 west 10 miles to the Refuge gate. If coming in from Highway 62, take Highway 115 (Cache exit) north to the Refuge gate. Contact Refuge Headquarters for more information.
Wildlife Refuge Visitors Center Hours:
The Visitor Center is closed on Tuesdays but is open every other day
of the week from 10:00 am to 5:30 pm.
The Center is closed on major holidays, including Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year's Day.
It opens at 1:30pm on Easter Sunday.
For further information about the Visitor Center, please contact Refuge Headquarters.
Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge Headquarters
(Six miles west of the Visitors Center on Hwy. 49
Rt. 1, Box 448
Indiahoma, OK 73552
Come visit us in Lawton, Oklahoma