LASR.net Homepage



Menu


Wolf Building


category : Historic Buildings
Wolf Building The Starr-Wolf Building constructed in 1894 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was a very active center for many years as a hotel, bank, and restaurant. The Weber Sample room and also the Sunflower Sample room were located on the tunnel level where salesmen would set up their wares to introduce new items and sell to the local merchants. The famous Sunflower Dining Room restaurant was added in the 1920's, to the back, or east, of the building.

A portion of the historic Ellinwood underground tunnels are still open under this building, however it is privately owned and not open for public tours.

It is still active today as an Antique Shop and Interior Design Studio.


Address: N.E. corner of Main & Santa Fe, U.S. 56 at the stoplight

Come visit us in Ellinwood, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Wolf Park Bandshell

Fred Wolf bought the lots for a park on Mainstreet and in 1930 a bandshell was built by Young Construction Company of Hutchinson for under $4000. There was seating for 35 muscicians. Trees, shrubs, flowers, paths, and a gold fish pool were designed for the park. Soon seating for 250

Ellinwood, KS Amphitheaters


I.O.O.F. Building

The German influence in Ellinwood is spotted on the IOOF Building, originally the Roetzel building and now the Brown building. The foundation of the building was laid in June of 1886. Henry Roetzel moved into the building in 1887

Ellinwood, KS Historic Buildings

Santa Fe Depot

The existing Santa Fe Depot is the fourth depot built in Ellinwood and was dedicated on Dec. 17, 1903. The previous depot was hit by lightning and burned in 1902

Ellinwood, KS Railroad History


Things to do Historic Buildings near Ellinwood, KS

Fred Harvey Building

The historical Fred Harvey Building once housed a food processing plant for the Harvey House and dining cars. The building wa...

Axtell Hospital

Axtell hospital was founded in 1887 by Dr. John T. Axtell and his wife, Lucena. The original wood frame hospital was graduall...