Learn more of Atchison County by visiting its unique cities described below.
See Atchison City Page on left menu
Established in 1868, this town was platted along the Central Branch Railroad. Effingham was also an important livestock shipping center and trading point. In 1915 there were 22 businesses and 5 churches. The town first received electricity in 1914 from Atchison.
Established 1882. The town site was originally the property of Colonel D.R. Anthony. Huron was relocated to a new site along the railroad. Many fires destroyed the town depleting the population. The town is either named after the Huron Indians or an Ohio County.
Established 1858. The old Military Road passed through this little town. A good trading point and livestock shipping center, this prosperous community at one time supported 15 public buildings and many families.
The original name was Cummingsville and was established in 1872. The town was platted by William Cummings to set along the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. In the 1920's there were sixteen businesses and three churches.>
This is a community straddling the Atchison-Jackson County line. This town was platted as a station on the Leavenworth, Kansas and Western Railroad which pushed through the county in 1871 and served this part of the state until 1935.
Established 1884. Popular mineral springs attracted people who were hoping to find a fountain of youth. The town grew fast because of health resorts. Most of the town was destroyed by fire and never rebuilt. The springs are now farm land.
This town was established in 1883 as a station on the Santa Fe and Missouri railroads. Named in honor of James Parnell, who was a Civil War hero, one of the first from Atchison County to respond to Lincoln's call. He died in battle Hoare Head, A.R.
Established 1857. The name is of Indian origin and signifies "Beautiful Prairie" or "Prairie on Fire." The townsite of the present Muscotah was originally part of the Kickapoo Indian lands and was granted by a U.S. patent to Chief Pe-it-e-quark.
The town of Kennekuk was founded as a stage stop in 1858 and named after Kickapoo Indian Chief, John Kennekuk. One of the earliest settlements in Atchison County and the headquarters for the Kickapoo Agency, it served at least three trails in the 1850's and 1860's; an overland freighting and stagecoach road from Atchison; a stage coach and Pony Express road from Fort Leavenworth to Fort Riley.
Explore Atchison County
Benedictine monks established St. Benedict's Abbey in the late 1850s. Today about 40 monks reside at the abbey on the northern edge of Benedictine College. The historic complex is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The Gothic-style abbey, completed in 1929Atchison, KS Historic Churches
Aviatrix Amelia Earhart was born in this home, built by her grandfather, Judge Alfred G. Otis, in the early 1860s. It it owned and operated as a museum by the Ninety-Nines, Inc., an international organization of women pilots. Earhart helped found the group in 1929Atchison, KS Famous Homes
St. Patrick's is the oldest Catholic structure in continous use in Kansas by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Kansas City. In the spring of 1857, St. Patrick's was established by Rev. Augustine Wirth, O.S.B. The first church was erected in the fall of 1859Atchison, KS Historic Churches
Snow Creek Ski Area is Northeast Kansas'/Missouri's only Alpine ski area. Facilities include nine intermediate trails, 2 triple chair lifts and 2 beginner areas with 3 rope tows. A day lodge features a cafeteria-style restaurant and a lounge, ski rental and ticket sales. Open daily. 100%Atchison, KS Skiing
The restored Santa Fe Depot, long a community landmark, serves as a Visitor Information Center and houses the Chamber of Commerce offices.
The center provides visitors with brochures, maps, and a helpful staff who can answer questions about sightseeing in the Atchison area.
Atchison, KS Visitors Centers
Atchison's newest memorial to its favorite native daughter is the one-acre Amelia Earhart Earthwork created by famed Kansas artist Stan Herd. This living portrait of Earhart lies on the berm of a hill overlooking Warnock Lake. It was created to celebrate Earhart's 100th birthday on July 24, 1997.Atchison, KS Memorials