Jefferson County is named in honor of former President Thomas Jefferson. It was Jefferson who acquired this parcel of land as a part of his famous Louisiana Purchase.
In the 1850s Kansas became a territory, and county boundaries were established by Kansas' first Territorial Congress. It was a violent era known as "Bleeding Kansas" because of the conflict between Free-Staters (Jayhawkers) and the proslavery faction. Jefferson County was the sight of two major Civil War battles--the Battle of Hickory Point and the Battle of Slough Creek.
After the Civil War, railroads became a dominant factor in the growth of Jefferson County Land grants were awarded to the Kansas Pacific (Union Pacific) and Atchison-Topeka (Santa Fe) railroads. The land grants were a major incentive for immigrants to settle in Kansas. This resulted in the development and growth of a prosperous agricultural region.
Today, the spirit of the pioneer continues in one of the most beautiful parts of Kansas. Come visit Jefferson County..for the fun of it.
Explore Jefferson County
The school was built in 1887 on the homestead of Harrison W. Wellman, in the southeast part of Jefferson County. It is typical of the many one-room country schools that were located every few miles within the county and throughout the country. School Ditrict #70 was formed in 1871Oskaloosa, KS Pioneer Life
The Curry home was built in 1900. John Steuart Curry was then three years old. He lived in the home until he was eighteen. In 1987Oskaloosa, KS Famous Homes
Enjoy walking along historic downtown Valley Falls and shopping for collectibles or treasures in the antique shops. Stop for a soda at Frank's Original Soda Fountain, or ice cream at the local Ice Cream Parlor. Please stop by the museum, and if it'Valley Falls, KS Historic Downtowns
Old Jefferson Town is a collection of nine restored and furnished vintage buildings from different locations around Jefferson County. They are preserved as a historic town of early day settlements. The town was named because of Jefferson County being referred to as Ol' Jefferson.Oskaloosa, KS Museums