In 1802, a band of 400-500 Osage Indians from Missouri, led by Chief Glahmo, settled on a 25 acre mound along the Verdigris River to establish a fur trading post. Then in 1817, through a number of treaties, the Cherokee Indians were given this land, and the Osage were moved to a reservation that is now the area of Osage County.
Rogers County was created at statehood in 1907 and named for Clem V. Rogers, a Cherokee elder member of the Oklahoma Constitutional Convention, and father of famed Will Rogers.
Explore Rogers County
This private home was originally built by J. BARTLEY MILAM, Principal Chief of the Cherokees. The Cherokee government had been dismantled in 1907 when Oklahoma became a state. In 1941, Milam was appointed Chief for a year by Franklin D. Roosevelt and was reappointed until his death in 1949Claremore, OK Historic Homes
In the middle of the 300 block of Will Rogers Blvd., you will want to stop, grab your camera and visit the life-size bronze statue of Will Rogers, sitting on a park bench reading the Claremore Progress. The Rogers County Historical Society presented this statue, "Claremore, OK Arts
The south wing of the Old Will Rogers Library is the Lynn Riggs Memorial. Rollie Lynn Riggs was born in 1899, 3 miles southwest of Claremore in Indian Territory. He became an internationally famous author and playwright of "Green Grow the Lilacs", from which the musical "Oklahoma!"Claremore, OK Memorials
Will Rogers would feel right at home at the Dog Iron Ranch where he was born in 1879. The birthplace, located just a few miles northeast of Oologah, is now a living history ranch. Hand-hewed logs frame the room where Will Rogers was born on a sprawling frontier ranch. A recorded message by Will'Oologah, OK Famous Homes
The First Presbyterian Church occupies a corner lot in one of Claremore's oldest residential areas. The congregation of the First Presbyterian Church of Claremore was organized in 1887 and services were held in homes until the Gothic Revival style building was constructed in 1902, 5Claremore, OK Historic Churches
The WILL ROGERS HOTEL, listed on the National Register of Historic Places was dedicated in 1930. The fireproof structure of concrete and steel originally contained 78 rooms and 7 apartments. During World War II, it was designated as a bomb shelter. Mineral water baths called "radium water"Claremore, OK Historic Hotels
The Christ Presbyterian Church was purchased from the First United Methodist Church in 1990. In 1882, a one-room frame building was constructed after $500 was given by the Methodist General Conference to erect a house of worship. The church was served by "Circuit Rider" preachers until 1907Claremore, OK Historic Churches