LASR.net Homepage



Menu

Kingfisher County, OK

Kingfisher CountyKingfisher County was created in 1890 from Unassigned Lands, and was originally known as County No. 5. It was named for nearby Kingfisher Creek, which was named for a man, King Fisher, who owned a stage stop. Land in Kingfisher County was distributed in the April 22, 1889 Land Rush.

Located on a natural track between the hills and less watered lands, Kingfisher County was a travel grounds for nomadic tribes, military supply routes, pony express and stage coach routes. The site of Kingfisher's Stage Station lies within the city limits of Kingfisher, the present county seat. As millions of Texas Longhorns traversed to Kansas railheads to feed a hungry post Civil War nation, Kingfisher was a section of the fabled Chisholm Trail.

Kingfisher was the starting line for the "Run of '89" pioneers who did not have to run too far. Kingfisher became one of the Oklahoma towns which grew from bald prairie fields to a bustling city overnight.

Abraham Jefferson Seay, second Territorial Governor of Oklahoma had a dream of making Kingfisher the capital of Oklahoma, but his dream fell short .

Kingfisher's basic agricultural economy was in place prior to the Land Run of '89. After settlement, wheatlands were developed and much later came the great oil booms. Large cattle operations leased from Indian tribes were located here. Even during major economic setbacks the three legs of Kingfisher's economy - cattle, wheat and oil remained as strong economic generators.

Around the turn of the century the slogan "Buckle of the Wheat Belt" came to designate Kingfisher. With no rail west of town and a major federal road running through the county (US 81), wheat came from as far as a hundred miles. Kingfisher was the largest wheat market in America and is still perceived as such today.

Census records are available beginning with the 1890 First Territorial
Census. Most county records begin in 1890.

Explore Kingfisher County

Oklahoma Park

Take the kids on a train ride through Oklahoma Park, past the Municipal Golf Course and almost to the front door of the Vernie Snow Aquatic Center. Besides being located between the Vernie Snow Aquatic Center and Kingfisher's 18

Kingfisher, OK Recreation

Cole Cabin

A more ordinary settler family was that of Samuel and Dorothy Cole. They built this cabin southeast of Hennessey in 1890. It was built of oak logs cut on the farm and hauled to the building site in a wagon drawn by a yoke of oxen.

Kingfisher, OK Pioneer History

Gant School House

From the start the settlers of Oklahoma made provisions for eduction. The proceeds form sections six and thirty-six of each township were reserved for schools. There were country schools every three miles with names like Pleasant Valley, Good Hope, or in this case Gant.

Kingfisher, OK Historic Schoolhouses

Outdoor Murals

"Kingfisher, OK" (Main Street) - artists, Palmer, Ellison, Nix, Stone, and town folk Newspaper Bldg., Southeast corner of Main and Roberts

Kingfisher, OK Arts

Chisholm Trail Museum

The Chisholm Trail Museum, named for Jesse Chisholm, is situated directly on the Chisholm Trail and presents artifacts from the historic Chisholm cattle trail. See, first hand, items and their history and Kingfisher's place within.

Native American Artifacts

Kingfisher, OK Museums

Land Office Building/ Post Office

This was the United States Land Office site for filing claims at the opening of "Old Oklahoma," April 22, 1889, and also at the opening of the Cheyenne and Arapaho lands on April 19, 1892. J.C. Roberts was the first Register, and J.V. Admire, the first Receiver.

Kingfisher, OK Historic Buildings

Kingfisher Municipal Golf Course

The Kingfisher Municipal Golf Course is located less than 1 mile east of the city's center on Broadway. The 18

Kingfisher, OK Golf Courses

Pioneer Telephone Building

This building was constructed in 1900 by the Anheuser Busch Brewing Association of St. Louis, Missouri. In 1922, the building was restored similar to its original appearance by Pioneer Telephone Cooperative, Inc.

Kingfisher, OK Historic Buildings

Dalton Cabin

In 1889, the parents of the Dalton gang - Adaline Younger Dalton and James Lewis Dalton - planned to move to Oklahoma. Mr. Dalton died on the way, leaving Adaline with three young children to raise: Nancy, Leona, and Simon. An older, feeble-minded son named Charles Benjamin accompanied them.

Kingfisher, OK Pioneer History

Historic Church

SS Peter and Paul Catholic Church

Kingfisher, OK Historic Churches

First Bank of Kingfisher

D.F. Doak and his brother, Walter, opened the Bank of Kingfisher in a tent on April 22, 1889 - the day of the land run. It stood on the corner of Main and Admire near the center of Kingfisher. Almost immediately, the Doaks built a 20' by 32'

Kingfisher, OK Museums

Governor Seay Mansion

The Seay Mansion is a monument to a dream, a dream that Kingfisher would be the new capitol of Oklahoma Territory; a dream that never came true. Abraham Jefferson Seay, the second Territorial Governor of Oklahoma from 1892 to 1893, built the three-story mansion named, "Horizon Hill,"

Kingfisher, OK Museums

Explore Kingfisher County