Larry E. Adair - A descendant of Thomas Wilson and Margaret Bigby Adair and Walter Duncan and Sabina Adair Bigby, Larry E. Adair was elected on November 7, 2000, to a tenth term in the Oklahoma House of Representatives.
Rep. Adair, having served the previous term as speaker pro tempore, was elected to the postilion of Speaker of the House of Representatives for the 48th legislative session.
Speaker Adair and his wife, Jan, both natives of Adair County, still make their home in Stilwell.
Brad Rogers Carson - On November 7, 2000, Brad Rogers Carson, descendant of Thomas Wilson and Margaret Adair Bigby and Walter Duncan and Sabina Adair Bigby, was elected as the Congressman for the Second District of Oklahoma.
He is the only enrolled Native American member of the United States House of Representatives and is the Vice-Chair of the Congressional Native American Caucus.
His parents, Jack Carson and Jimmie Ruth Adair Carson are natives of Stilwell.
"About 4 miles north and west
Establsihed by Rev. Jesse Busyhead in 1839 and known as Breadtown by the Cherokee, Rev. Evan Jones was missionary in charge. The Cherokee Messenger printed there beginning in August 1844, was the first periodical in Oklahoma.
The mission moved to Tahlequah in 1867. Bacone College at Muskogee, still in operation, is an outgrowth of this school at Baptist and Tahlequah."
Written on the front of the church - " Moved over Trail of Tears from Georgia - 1838"
A signer of the treaty of New Echota and grandfather of famed Will Rogers. Robert Rogers moved with his wife, Sally Vann, to Indian Territory about 1837, and established a home about 1 mile northwest. He was killed in 1842 in a tribal feud as were many of the treaty signers following the forced removal of the Cherokees in 1838-39. He is buried near his home site about 1/2 miles north and 3/4 mile west of here. His widow later married a Virginian, William Musgrove.
- Oklahoma Historical Society, 64-1995
Rev. Jesse Busyhead settled here in 1839 following the Cherokee removal from the east and held church services at his home until the Baptist Mission was established in 1841 by Rev. Evan Jones. This site was one of the ration stations known as GA-DU-HO-GA-DU, or Breadtown, by the Cherokee following the removal.
A Cherokee National School was founded near here in 1843 and the mission established a female seminary the same year. The Cherokee Messenger printed here beginning in August 1844 and was the first periodical in Oklahoma. The mission station was burned during the Civil War by the Confederates because of the anti-slavery teaching of the missionaries. While the mission never rebuilt, the church has continued to meet. The present church building was built in 1888.
- Oklahoma Historical Society, 62-1995
Deer and Small Game - Deer and small game are found in woods, fields, and forests in the Westville area. Hunting by permit in the Cookson Hills Game Refuge near Lake Tenkiller - turkey, quail, rabbit, squirrel, elk, and deer.
Stream Fishing - Stream fishing offers exciting recreation as the Illinois River, Baron Fork Creek and other small streams contain brown bass, bream, perch, catfish, and even trout.
Lakes - Bod Kidd Lake, located 9 miles east of Westville near Prairie Grove, Arkansas, developed by the U.S. Soil Conservation Service, has become one of the area's most popular small lakes.
Lake Tenkiller - 35 miles southwest of Westville
Beaver Lake - 40 miles from Westville near Rogers, Arkansas
Grand Lake - 40 miles from Westville near Grove.
All are favorable for boating, fishing, and water recreation.
Float Trips - Float trips on the Illinois River begin 8 miles northwest of Westville and extend past Tahlequah, 30 miles to the west.
Rodeos - Westville - IPRA/ACRA Sanctioned
Stilwell - IPRA/ACRA Sanctioned
Hampton Indoor Arena - IPRA Sanctioned. Held various times throughout the year.
Lincoln, AR - IRA Sanctioned.
Siloam Springs, AR - Sanctioned by the IPRA.
Golf - Courses and driving ranges located in Siloam Springs, Fayetteville, Springdale, and Tahlequah.
Tennis Court - John Crittenden Tennis Courts located at the north end of Westville Public Schools offers 2 lighted tennis courts for family fun and enjoyment.
Swimming Pool - Westville is host to one of the few municipal swimming pools in the area. The pool is located on Buffington Road and open every summer.
Ball Parks - Baldor Ball Park offers multiple baseball/softball fields. Teams of all ages play ball at Baldor Park. Little League, High School, and Adult games are conducted all spring and summer. Located on Cemetery Road.
City Park - Westville City Park located on Buffington Road has a variety of facilities to offer. The park is the location of a new lighted asphalted walking track.
Camps - Camping for families is available in many different areas. Several private children's summer camps and religious camps in the immediate area.
5-K Runs - Westville hosts the Golden Eagle 5-K Run each year. Several area runs are held throughout the year.
City Library - John F. Henderson Library is open to the public six days a seek and has the latest technology to entertain the most inquisitive minds.
Community Activities - Westville offers many community activities for the residents of the area. Festivals and parades held throughout the year. Family Fun and entertainment is always a priority in the Westville community.
Several monuments of interest have been erected on Cherokee Square surrounding the Capitol Building.
* Monument to General Stand Watie the only full-blood Indian Brigadier General in the Confederate Army.
* Monument to John Ross: Principal Chief of the Cherokee, 1828 - 1866
* Miniature Statue of Liberty Erected in 1950 by the Boy Scouts of America during their 40th Anniversary Crusade to Strengthen the Arm of Liberty.
* Veterans Monument: Installed by the Disabled American Veterans and dedicated to all war veterans.
* Memorial to the Confederate Dead: Erected in 1913 by the Colonial William Penn Adair Chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy.
* The Cherokee Advocate: First legal newspaper in Oklahoma, established September 26, 1884.
* First Telephone in Oklahoma and the first telephone in the Mississippi Valley west of St. Louis, 1885.
- In Honor of -
General Stand Watie
General Stand Watie - only full blood Indian Brigadier General in the Confederate Army. This brave Cherokee with his heroic regiment rendered inestimable services to the Confederate Cause of Indian Territory.
Born in Georgia, December 12, 1806, died in Cherokee Nation, September 9, 1871
- A tribute to his memory by the Oklahoma Division, United Daughters of the Confederacy.
"Lest We Forget"
John Ross 1790-1866
Principal Chief of the Cherokee, 1828 - 1866
Born October 3, 1790 in Turkeytown, Alabama, the son of a one-quarter Cherokee maiden and a Scotsman, John Ross was elected as the first Principal Chief of the Cherokee Indians in 1828 and served in that capacity for the next 38 and one half years until his death on August 1, 1866 in Washington, D.C.
During his tenure as Principal Chief, John Ross vehemently resisted all efforts by the various states and federal government to undermine the sovereignty and removal proposals. After exhausting every legal avenue, the Cherokee people were forcibly removed west during the winter of 1838-39.
Much of his life was spent dealing with adversity. He was a veteran of the War of 1812, serving under his future adversary, Andrew Jackson. The removal of his people also cost the life of his beloved wife, Quatie. After removal the internal strife of a nation divided, the War Between the States, again divided his people and Chief Ross had to cope with the struggle for power between the United States and the Confederate States by trying to keep his people neutral.
Chief Ross was buried in Delaware when in 1867, a delegation was sent to return his remains to the Cherokee Nation. After lying in state for one month at the Cherokee National Male Seminary, his remains were interred at the Ross Cemetery at Park Hill. [south of Tahlequah]
Chief John Ross
Address to the National Council
Tahlequah, Indian Territory - October 5, 1857
"The surest safeguard for the nation must be found in the respect and confidence of the people; and those can be secured only by its affording that protection to life and prosperity for which it was instituted.
Dedicated this 27th day of October, 1990.
The Cherokee Advocate
Vol 1, Tahlequah, Cherokee Nation, Thursday, September 9, 1844
As a tribute to Oklahoma's first legal newspaper, The Cherokee Advocate, was established in 1844 in a building approximately 100' from the location (of this maker.)
The marker was dedicated September 6, 1957 by the Oklahoma Press Association and the Oklahoma Professional Chapter of Sigma Delta Chi.
This monument was erected as a public service by the Southwestern Bell Telephone Company.
Adjacent to this marker is another marker reading -
John Brian ( J.B.) Stapler
- The first man to speak on the telephone west of the Mississippi from Fort Gibson to Tahlequah.
With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made possible the freedom of these United States.
The Boy Scouts of America
Dedicated this replica of the statue of liberty as a pledge of everlasting fidelity and loyalty.
40th Anniversary Crusade to strengthen the Arm of Liberty - 1950
Donated to the City of Tahlequah
Mr. and Mrs. Jim Thompson
Field Executive of the Boy Scouts of America, William D. Kaufman, July, 1950
223 S. Smith - Built around 1884 by M.E. Milford. Mr. Milford was the business manager and later the owner of the "Indian Chieftain," the daily paper. He was also one of the organizers of First National Bank in 1892, the second bank in Indian Territory.
147 S. Adair - Built in the early 1900's by Lucian Buffington, cousin of Cherokee Chief Tom Buffington. Mr. Buffington was also one of the organizers of First National Bank and later served as its first vice-president. He was a member of the Vinita Townsite Board in 1898.
146 S. Adair - Built by John Turner in 1904. He was active in support of statehood for the two territories. He was elected one of the members of the State Supreme Court in 1906, a post he held until 1919.
439 N. Foreman - Built in 1897 by W.H. Kornegay, a prominent Vinita attorney and jurist. Mr. Kornegay was a member of the Constitutional Convention in 1906, and took an active part in writing that document. He was also instrumental in the naming of this county "Craig" for a close friend at Welch, Granville Craig.
451 N. Foreman - This magnificent home was a wedding gift. It was built in 1899 by J.O. Hall for his daughter, Ludie, at the time of her marriage to Luman Parker, Jr., an attorney and later judge. Mr. Hall, a wealthy cattleman, is said to have had the glass for the stained glass window of this house shipped in from France.
102 S. Third - One of the earlier homes in Vinita, this brick structure was built by W.O. Trott who was in this area before the railroads came through in 1868.
227 N. Miller - This house was built in 1895.
South Boat Ramp - Free Public Boat Access - "Mud Flats" - East side of Salina at Highway 20 and Owen Walters Blvd. (Highway 82 South), 1/4 mile.Continue through mobile home park.
The Battle ...
The Battle of Honey Springs was one of the largest and most famous Oklahoma battles of the Civil War. On July 2, 1863, Stand Watie's confederate forces were defeated at the first battle of Cabin Creek trying to prevent a federal supply train, traveling the Texas road, from reaching Fort Gibson. Col. Watie and his remaining troops joined Gen. Cooper's troops at the Honey Springs supply depot where the Texas Road crossed Elk Creek two miles east of present Rentiesville. Gen. Cooper had perhaps 4,000 men with probably another 2,000 Confederates available from Fort Smith. Gen. Cooper decided to get the 200 troops from Fort Smith and attack Fort Gibson, against the advice of Col. Watie, who felt the Union forces had superior weapons and ammunition. Union scouts learned of the plan and Gen. James G. Blunt marched with about 3,000 men (including another regiment) to effect a surprise attack on the Confederates before their reinforcements could get there from Fort Smith. On July 16 and 17, the Federals attacked the advance Confederate force at Elk Creek and drove them back over the McIntosh Bridge to Honey Springs where they were defeated. Gen. Cooper blamed the defeat on his inferior ammunition and weapons, but he had made several tactical blunders and was removed from command. Stand Watie replaced him and was raised to a Brigadier General.
Checotah has a rich heritage in cattle ranching which was the root for the sport of rodeo. Rodeo has made the town the Steerwrestling Capital of the World. Five (5) PRCA World Champion Steerwrestlers called Checotah home.
Benny Combs - 1955 - (1958 RCA World Champion Runner up, NFR Finalist, 5 times, and 1951 Inter-collegiate Bareback Champion)
Willard Combs - 1957 - (1955 RCA World Champion Runner up, 1959 National Finals Average Champion, 1952-1962 RCA Top Ten, PRCA Board of Directors, 4 years, Owner of "Baby Doll", Horse of the Year, 3 times
Roy Duvall - 1967,1968,1972 - ( 1968, 1981, 1984 World Champion Runner up, National Finalist, 24 times, 1984 National Finals Average Champion, 1977, 1981, 1984 Prairie Circuit Champion, Owner of "Whiskey", 1980 Horse of the Year)
Billy Hale - 1971 - (1963, 1973 National Finals Runner up, 1963, 1964 National Flinals Average Champion, National Fianlist, 3 times)
Ote Berry - 1985,1990,1991,1995 - (1980 High School World Champion, 1991,1994,1995 Prairie Circuit Champion, 1993 PRCA Runner up)
Roy Duvall and Ote Berry are members of the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame, and Roy was a 1998 inductee into the National Cowboy Hall of Fame.
The first hardware store in the Eufaula Business District, was built in 1908. Still doing business as Main Street Hardware, it is a time travel experience to walk along the original hardwood floors and to look into the original glass cased shelves, nail boxes, and racks that are still used to display not only up-to-date hardware items, but also collections of hardware that used to be daily items in the early 1900s store.
The Sorbe Building, built in 1895, was the first building in the Eufaula Business District.
33 sites are mapped for a fort tour aided by uniformed guides that add historical relevance to the specific points of interest. Throughout the year, reenactments, living history celebrations, and work shops fill the entire year with activity at the fort. (See the Calendar of Events for event descriptions).
Some of the sites on the Fort grounds include:
|The Commissary was built in 1845. It has undergone reconstruction, and is now the Visitor Center for the Fort Gibson Historic Site.|
The Barracks building was constructed initially during the 1840s, but was not finished until after the Civil War. OnceHeadquarters
The Adair Cabin was relocated to its present site by the Muskogee County Historical Society. This dogtrot cabin once belonged to Judge Adair, and is said to have been used as a hospital during the Civil War.
The bakery, seen here, was in ruins before it was reconstructed by the Oklahoma Historical Society. The bakery is now used for public baking demonstrations, and is open to the public for tours.
The dogtrot is part of the 1936 WPA Stockade reconstruction. Today, it is used extensively for living history and reenactments, with many participants having slept in the cabin. When not in use for events, the building is accessible for visitors to the site.
The library and mess hall are also part of the reconstructed stockade. They too are accessible to visitors when not in use for events.
Within the reconstructed stockade, several rooms are set with displays, which show an officer's quarters, circa 1836.
Brief History of Fort Gibson .....
In 1824, increasing tensions between the Cherokee and Osage Nations led the U.S. Army to relocate its westernmost presence from Fort Smith, Arkansas to a point farther west in the Arkansas territory. Colonel William Arbuckle selected a spot on the Grand River, three miles upstream form the convergence of the Arkansas, Grand and Verdigris Rivers.
Colonel Arbuckle oversaw the construction of a wooden stockade named Cantonment Gibson in honor of General George Gibson. The stability of the stockade encouraged both Euro and Native Americans to settle near the post giving rise to the community at Fort Gibson, the oldest in the state of Oklahoma.
The Seventh Infantry arrived at the post in 1831, and in 1832, Cantonment Gibson was renamed Fort Gibson. Soldiers at the fort were instrumental in overseeing the resettlement of the eastern tribes to Indian Territory. For many, Fort Gibson was the terminus of Native Americans and their African-American slaves after their removal from the southeast part of the nation, commonly known as the Trail of Tears.
In 1857, The Army withdrew from Fort Gibson and transferred the land and the buildings to the Cherokee Nation. During the Civil War the Confederate soldiers briefly occupied the site before establishing Fort Davis nearby. Fort Gibson was reactivated in 1863 and occupied by federal troops as a key point in controlling Indian Territory and the Texas Road. The U.S. 10th Cavalry, a unit of black soldiers nicknamed "Buffalo Soldiers," was stationed here after the Civil War. Fort Gibson also was the home of the first black regiment in Indian Territory, the 1st Kansas Colored Volunteers Infantry.
The Army served at the fort until 1871 when most troops were reassigned and the fort designated a commissary supply post. In 1872, following the arrival of the railroad to Indian Territory, the fort was reactivated to ensure law and order. In 1890, the Army abandoned Fort Gibson permanently.
Room are dedicated to different eras, some to the oil boom, the World Wars, wood carving, early day tools, ladies' fashions, and an old fashioned kitchen, to name a few. One room holds memories of the Cherokee and Delaware tribes in Nowata County while another room is dedicated to cowboys and girls of yesterday such as the famed Nowata County trick rider, Pauline Nesbitt, national prize winner in 1936.
The museum library contains hundreds of books and photographs.
Adjacent to the Courthouse is the War Memorial Park. The first stone was set in 1950 by the Newton Martin McKellar Post Number 101 of the American Legion, the Nowata VFW Post Number 2745, and the County Commissioners. It was originally dedicated in the memory of the Nowata
County military personnel who died in WWI, and WWII. In 1990, the La Ke Kon Club sold 500 bricks and bought stones for memorials for those who died in the Korean and Vietnam wars.
Episcopal Church - Built in 1902, the building was originally the home of the Methodist Church and remained so until 1911, when it was purchased by the Episcopal Church for the sum of $2,000. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In 1913 the church was remodeled and refurnished.
3rd and Seminole
Methodist Church - The Methodist Church traces its history in Okmulgee to 1869 when the town was first established. In 1902, the First Methodist Episcopal Church South built the stone church which now serves as home of the Episcopal Church. Following a union of the Methodist Episcopal, Methodist Episcopal South, and the Methodist Protestant churches in 1939, they became the Methodist Church. The present building, which was built in 1910, was purchased in 1940.
8th and Okmulgee
First Christian Church - Though earliest records indicate the Christian Church existed in Okmulgee prior to the turn of the century, the first actual documentation reflects a meeting of "Ladies Aid Society" at the home of Mrs. W.M. Cott, 110 North Alabama.
Construction of the present building began with the laying of the cornerstone on June 17, 1917. The first worship service was held in the new building on Sunday, May 5, 1918.
8th and Seminole
Cha' also has created several outstanding metal sculptures of Indians high atop Standpipe Hill in Hominy, as well as a handsome buffalo that stands next to the Gazebo on the Green downtown. Cha' has been able to create these extraordinary works of art through private donations, as well as grants from the State Arts Council. Cha' and his wife, Teena, have a gallery and gift shop on Main Street, and they encourage you to stop in and get acquainted.
"Messenger" - Artist, Cha' Tullis, 1993
Located at N. Pettit and E. Main
Series of Murals across several buildings - Artist, Cha' Tullis
W. Main and Reagan
"Oklahoma's Undieing Spirit" - Artist, Amiron
Located at Wood and Main
"Searcher" - Artist, Tim Hoyhurt
Located at W. Main and Reagan
"Osage Thunder" - Artist, M. Bearden, 1995
Located at Main and S. Reagan
Located on Main Street alongside the door opening.
These concrete buffalo graze peacefully in a vacant lot along West Main.
Stop in at the station and study some of the bygone road service memorabilia displayed on the wall alongside the station.
Hosts dressed in vintage clothing welcome group tours that may be arranged, with options of History and Slides, or On Stage Audience Participation, or "Opening Doors and Peeking into Closets." By the way, the Constantine Ghost is featured in a new paperback book by Ellen Robson and Dianne Halicki: Haunted Highway, The Spirits of Route 66, which features 66 spine-tingling tales of ghostly encounters along or close to America's most famous highway.
Original paintings depicting several of Pawhuska's most famous historical buildings are on display at the the NBC Bank. Visitors are welcome to view the artwork Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
8th and Leahy
An extensive Bronze collection by local artist John D. Free is hosted by the Osage Federal Savings and Loan. Bronzes may be viewed Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Main Street and Freedom
"I spent much of my boyhood with a cowboy, the genuine article. This bronze sculpture reminds me of him, a man who had time for a boy." - Pawhuska Sculptor, John D. Free
A gift to the city of Pawhuska from Strat and Bobbie Tolson, 2000
112 W. Main, Between the historic buildings of the Constantine Center and the City Hall
"Osage in the Enemy Camp"
"Seeking to attain his tribe's highest war honor by touching his enemy." - Pawhuska Sculptor, John D. Free, Sr.
A gift to the city of Pawhuska from Strat and Bobbie Tolson
Located along Grandview on the West side of the Triangle Building
New excitement in trout fishing has been generated by stocking bigger fish, and rainbow trout between 14 & 24 inches, by the Oklahoma Wildlife Department. Lake Pawhuska quickly became a popular location for trout anglers during its first season of stocking in 1997.
* A resident or nonresident fishing license is required of all persons who take or attempt to take fish, including trout, unless otherwise exempt.
* A trout license ($7.75) is required for all who fish in state designated trout areas or in tributaries to a state designated trout stream during trout season. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS.
TROUT FISHING TIPS
Oklahoma has two introduced species of tout - rainbows and browns, with rainbows being far more abundant. Fingerling browns are stocked when available in the Mountain Fork River below Broken Bow dam and in the Lower Illinois River while rainbows are usually stocked every two weeks at all eight of the state's trout areas during designated trout seasons. Anglers can use the following tips to help them put trout on the stringer.
* Use an ultra-light rod and reel spooled with six pound or lighter line to produce more strikes.
* Small spinners, spoons, and crappie size jigs (tube or maribou) are good artificial lures.
* Fishing with live or prepared bait such as worms and salmon eggs is very productive where legal.
* Try small hooks (size 10 to 18) and sinkers to keep bait near the bottom and prevent trout from detecting any resistance.
* Fish during the early morning and late afternoons for best action.
* Concentrate on fishing around structure such as behind large rocks, logs and below riffles. Trout also tend to congregate above and below waterfalls, in an around deep pools and undercut banks.
* Rainbows tend to occupy faster moving water while browns may be found in more slack stretches.
* Trout face upstream to wait for insects to appear above them.
* Fly fisherman should try to fish with flies that resemble the insects and crustaceans that are most seasonally abundant.
* Fishing often improves a few days after stocking when trout have adjusted to their new environment.
Products at Skiatook Statuary are manufactured entirely with Oklahoma materials and Oklahoma labor in an Oklahoma town ... Skiatook. Since 1967, the Statuary has created ornamental concrete pieces ranging in size from one-inch to six-foot and weighing from only a few ounces to over a 1,000 pounds.
"The Monarch Lion" - Sculptured in 1928, by an artist brought from England. Only a handful were cast from the mold. 60 years later the last original casting was brought to Skiatook Statuary by the corporation that had "delegated" the original 1928 sculpture. Rights to the production of this classic lion were granted exclusively to Skiatook Statuary in 1988. The rubber liner part of the mold is more than two men can lift. The fiberglass "backing", of course, is considerably more in weight. It is heavily reinforced through the tail, legs and base.
Dimensions: 2' x 7' x 4' Tall
Production Tours welcome with advanced planning.
Archaeologists from the Corps of Engineers and The University of Tulsa examined the formation. Evidence obtained from digs and aerial photographs proved the rock was a natural formation and had been set in near perfect vertical alignment by natural erosion ... ending any speculation that the rock was man-made. The rock stands 12 feet high, has a 17-foot base, and is 14 to 16 inches thick. It is triangular in shape with its jagged apex pointing upward to the heavens.
In the early 1900s, "Teepee Rock," as it was then called, was clearly visible and a wagon trail passed within a few feet. Later, the wagon trail washed out, vegetation grew and obscured the site. The rock was virtually forgotten for many years.
During the 1890s, the Hominy Creek Valley was frequently visited by a Caddo Indian, John Wilson, who sought to establish a new religion with the Osage and Quapaw Indians living there.
"Moonhead" Wilson, as he was called by the Indians, was an interesting character and stories about him are abundant. One such story was that while fasting, Moonhead would go into a trance and "die" for three days, before coming back to life. As the story goes, this feat was once performed at the original site of the Healing Rock. Another story was that Moonhead lay injured near the rock and was brought back to health by an opossum which cleaned his wounds and brought him food.
Similar happenings brought attention to the new religion. With the support of the Quapaw leader, Tallchief, the religion, now know as the Native American Church, was accepted and still survives today. Stories about Moonhead may have been the beginning of the Healing Rock myth. As late as the 1940s, a small group of Indians was seen carrying someone on a stretcher to the Healing Rock. He is still revered by members of the Native American Church.
When the plans for Skiatook Lake were finalized, it became clear the rock would be covered by water. Descendents of Tallchief, led by Skiatook resident, Bill Kugee Supernaw, contacted the Corps of Engineers to ask that the rock be saved. The Skiatook Chamber of Commerce and The Skiatook Museum Board campaigned to get the rock moved above the planned lake waters.
In 1985, the Corps moved the rock to its present location 1/8 mile south of the project office on Skiatook Lake. An access trail, built by the Corps, leads from the project office to this unique natural feature.
The Coleman Theatre opened on April 18th, 1929 with all 1,600 seats filled. The theatre was on the Orpheum Vaudeville circuit with many early day entertainers making appearances on stage including Will Rogers, Tom Mix, and fan dancer, Sally Rand. The theatre was given to the City of Miami in December of 1989 by the Coleman family.
This opulent structure was designed by the Boller Brothers of Kansas City, Missouri. The exterior architecture is Spanish Mission Revival. Terra Cotta Gargoyles and other hand-carved figures adorn the building's facade. The elegant Louis XV interior includes gold leaf trim, silk damask panels, stained glass panels, carved mahogany staircases and decorative plaster moldings and railings. The original carpet carried in its weave the Coleman family crest.
The original pipe organ, the "Mighty Wurlitzer", has returned home to the Coleman. The J.T. Peterson Organ Company of Fort Worth, Texas restored, refurbished, enhanced and completed the reinstallation of the organ in the theatre in 1996. Lyn Larsen, noted theatre organist was the artist for the gala "Mighty Wurlitzer Homecoming Concerts." All of the $85,000 used to repurchase and repair the organ were donated by citizens of the Miami community. The Coleman Theatre Beautiful is the only theatre in Oklahoma (and one of the few in the United States) that has its original pipe organ installed in its original setting
The building as well as many items inside, were donated by the Dobson family, whose patriarch Solomon Dobson settled in Miami, Indian Territory, in 1892.
Included in the over 5,000 historical items are:
* Indian Artifacts
* China, Glassware, and an Extensive Jug Collection
* Area Mining Display
* Early Day and Foreign Woodworking Tools
* Displays of Furniture and Toys Used By First Settlers
* Collections of Old Documents, Newspapers, and Photographs
This collage presents Ottawa County highlights on a open wall space located in Miami's Downtown Main Street.
Feyodi Park is Cleveland's own park on upper Keystone Lake. It is a beautifully maintained area just a few minutes from town, and is the center of many community and family activities. The annual Freedom Celebration with an extravaganza of fireworks is a fun-filled day at Feyodi Park.
RV Hook-ups * Tent Sites * Shelters * Rest Rooms * Playground Equipment * Driving and Archery Range * Horseshoes * Softball and Soccer Fields * Volleyball
Hallett Motor Racing Circuit is a 1.8 mile, 10-turn road racing course in the rolling Osage Hills of North Eastern Oklahoma. It is located 10 miles south of Cleveland on Highway 99, and 35 miles west of Tulsa.
Hallett has over 80 feet of elevation change and is considered technically difficult. It has wide, grassy run-off areas and zero concrete or Armco barriers. Hallett is unique in that it can be run in either clockwise or counter-clockwise directions making it two completely different race courses.
For over 22 years, Hallett Motor Racing Circuit has played host to Auto Racing, Motorcycles and High Speed Go Karts. Some of the organizations that run at Hallett include:
Pawnee, Oklahoma was the birthplace of Dick Tracy creator, Chester Gould, and a mural painted on the side of a building is the world's largest Dick Tracy cartoon. - Artist, Ed Melberg, Tulsa, OK, 1990.
6th and Harrison
Chester Gould - Born in Pawnee, Oklahoma in 1900, Chester Gould started drawing at age seven and graduated from Pawnee High School in 1919. On August 30, 1921, a 21 year-old young man, lonely but full of ambition, arrived in Chicago by train. With $50 in his pocket, a suitcase and a portfolio, he was ready to hit the big time cartoon world.
Part of that precious money went to buy a drawing board and tabaret to put in his $6 a week room on North LaSalle Street.
To be a cartoonist for the Chicago Tribune had been this man's goal since he was a boy. Now, he would pursue this. What he didn't know was that it would take 10 years working on other papers while submitting ideas to the Tribune before one would catch J.M. Patterson's eye.
Then, it happened! A new concept in comic strip stories was presented to Patterson. It was a detective story, filled with action and fast-pace, the first of its kind - Dick Tracy was born.
On October 4, 1931, Dick Tracy first appeared in the Detroit Mirror, one of the Tribune- owned papers, then in the New York Daily News, then the Tribune and one and one taking the country by storm.
So popular was the strip that it appeared on the front page of the New York Daily News for 45 consecutive years, and it was seen in 27 foreign papers.
On December 25, 1977, this young man, now 77 years of age, retired, having written and drawn Dick Tracy for more than 46 years. His dream had been fulfilled. Eight years later, on May 11, 1985, Chester Gould passed on.
The drawing board and tabaret that have found a permanent home in the Chester Gould-Dick Tracy Museum, Woodstock, Illinois, are the same ones purchased by that young man who was filled with ambition on that hot day in August of 1921.
Walking around the beautiful landscaped lawn of the stately Pawnee County Courthouse built in 1929, you will find tucked away in the northeast corner of the square, the Pawnee Library occupying an 1899 building that originally housed the county jail. Originally the structure had two stories in which the jail quarters were contained in the upper story, while the jailer and his family resided in the lower level.
Born in 1879 on a frontier ranch, Will Rogers used his cowboy trick roping talents to enter show business. His career expanded from wild west shows to vaudeville to movies. He was always proud of his Indian heritage and was called "The Cherokee Kid." He was the toast of Broadway for a decade in the Ziegfeld Follies. Will Rogers became a major syndicated newspaper columnist; author of books; star of 71 motion pictures and America's premier radio commentator. An airplane crash took Will's life in 1935.
|PATTI PAGE BLVD.|
Pattie Page was born Clara Ann Fowler in 1927, one of 11 children. Her father was a railroad foreman and her mother picked cotton to help support the family. While in high school, one of the students failed to appear for a stage performance and Clara Ann stood in. She belted out her version of "Frankie & Johnny" and her singing career was launched. That very summer she went to a radio station in Tulsa and was hired to do several weekly shows. The Page Milk Company sponsored a show on this station called "Meet Patti Page." They gave the name and the job to Clara Ann. She went on to sell millions of records and had the number one spot on the billboard charts for 30 weeks with "Tennessee Waltz." This is the biggest hit record by a female artist, selling more than 10 million copies.
|WILL ROGERS BLVD.|
William Penn Adair Rogers (1879- 1935) was born on a ranch near Claremore, I.T. He was an American humorist and social critic, beginning as a cowboy and rising to world fame. Rogers was popular on radio and appeared in 50 silent movies and 21 talking films, wrote 6 books and a column that appeared in more than 350 daily newspapers. Rogers gained much of his popularity as an easy-going lecturer on current events. During his lectures he chewed gum and performed rope tricks while kidding about business, government, people and politics. he began most of his lectures and columns saying, "All I know is what I read in the papers."
|LYNN RIGGS BLVD.|
Rollie Lynn RIGGS was born August 31, 1899, a few miles southwest of Claremore, I.T. and passed away in New York City the morning of June 30, 1954. He was a poet and playwright and while in France wrote the play "Green Grow the Lilacs." The musical "Oklahoma" is an adaptation of "Green Grow the Lilacs" and has played in cities across the United States, as well as Australia, Canada, Germany, Israel, England and Arabia.
|J.M. DAVIS BLVD.|
John Monroe Davis (1887 - 1973) was born in Arkansas, near Calion. When he was seven, his father gave him a muzzle loading shotgun. That was the beginning of his collection. In 1916, he traded 2,000 acres of Arkansas timberland for the Mason Hotel in Claremore. In 1917, he began displaying his gun collection in the lobby. His collection grew to cover the hotel lobby walls, the ballroom, the upstairs hallways and seven private rooms. In 1965, Davis transferred ownership of his collection to a trust, the J.M. Davis Foundation, Inc. The Foundation entered into an agreement with the State of Oklahoma for preservation of the collection. Within four years, the museum opened to an enthusiastic public on Davis' 82nd birthday.
|BLUE STARR DR.|
Blue Starr II (1858 - 1944), was orphaned at age two and sent to the Cherokee Orphan Asylum at Salina. At age eleven, he ran away to live with his aunt, Nancy Jane Chambers, in Claremore. He attended West Point only four months. At fourteen, he went to work for the C.W. Turner Ranch near Inola. In 1886, he married Jesse Marion Hutchins and had four children. In 1898, he moved his family to Claremore so that his children could receive a quality education. He bought 169 acres and built a fourteen room, three-story home. Blue Starr II was an avid Democrat and was elected to the National Council of the Cooweescoowee District without opposition from 1894 - 1904. He was noted for his honesty and integrity.
|STUART ROOSA BLVD.|
Stuart Allen Roosa (1933 - 1994) was not born nor did he die in Oklahoma, but his roots were firmly planted in Rogers County soil. Roosa grew up on the east side of town and graduated from Claremore High School in 1951. On January 31, 1971, with Alan Shepard and Edgar Mitchell, he was launched to the moon aboard Apollo 14. While his partners explored the lunar surface, Roosa orbited in the command module, Kitty Hawk, 69 miles above the moon. On March 26, 1971, Claremore welcomed the "Apollonaut" back for a visit. He presented Claremore High School with a flag he had taken to the moon, and the Mayor, Jack Marshall, presented Roosa a key to the city. Roosa later served a Backup Command Module Pilot for Apollo 16 an 17, and was involved with NASA for 10 years.
In 1919, the Oklahoma Legislature eliminated EUPS, and in its place established Oklahoma
Military Academy, hailed as the "West Point of the Southwest".The first 40 students lived in tents during the fall and winter of 1919 - 1920 until Meyer Hall could be built. This building, also listed on the National Register of Historic Places, with the large columns in front was named for Maurice Meyer, the first Oklahoman killed in action in the First World War. On the second floor is the Oklahoma Military Academy Museum which is open to the general public. Currently, the museum is open the same hours as the campus offices but it is available for special tours or functions. In 1971, in response to the growing educational needs of a rapidly developing technological and industrial economy, OMA was replaced with Claremore Junior College which further evolved into the institution it is today.
When you reach 8th Street, look straight ahead for the oldest marked grave in the cemetery. Elijah Hicks, born in Georgia in 1797, was a Captain of one of the 13 detachments on the "Trail of Tears". In 1839, he settled where Woodlawn Cemetery is now located. This area had previously been occupied by Dosage Chief Black Dog. Hicks was a delegate to Washington and served as President of the Cherokee Senate. He died August 6, 1856. The Rogers County Historical Society provided an exact replica of the original stone that had suffered the ravages of time.
Turn right on "C" Avenue. The large marker on your right is of John M. Bayless who built the Belvidere Mansion as well as a three story opera house, the Sequoyah Hotel, and an athletic building.
The arena is a dirt floor 61,000 sq. ft. enclosed, air conditioned/heated building. the floor may be packed for hard surface use. It has seating up to 2,000. It has its own P.A. system and score board. The concession area and rest rooms are accessed at the South end. The covered 30,000 sq. ft. covered warm up arena is attached to the North with access to the main arena and access to the covered stalls and wash area is to the West. rest rooms and wash area is provided between the covered stall building and the covered warm up arena. An additional warm up area is provided outside between the buildings as indicated. Water is located throughout the covered stall building and with its tall roof structures provides proper ventilation on those still calm days. Loading and unloading areas are provided nearby.
These arenas are multipurpose and may be used for many different events. Some events may be able to run at the same time.
The 60,000 sq. ft. Expo building is a multipurpose facility which is air conditioned and heated. It has a main kitchen located in the Southwest corner with two concession stands and a food court yard midway on the North side of the building. The rest rooms which may be converted for large number of ladies are also on the North side. The box office is located at the left of the main entrance with four windows. The Expo offices are located inside the entrance on the left. Two meeting rooms are on the right of the main entrance. Dressing rooms are on located on the Northeast side of the building. There are more than 150 10'X10' booth areas available on the main floor for flat shows. Dirt my be added to the floor for additional stock shows. The floor may be converted to accommodate different types of sports events. A stage may be set up at the East end for Stage shows and seats up to 3,500. There are three light booths located on the second floor. The building my be subdivided for small events or more than one event at a time. Food service may range from snacks to concessions to full banquet service and even formal weddings and receptions. Ample electrical services are available for any event including a showpower and spotlight booths.
Claremore Lake features 500 surface acres for boating and great bass fishing (no swimming allowed). There are 2 boat ramps, courtesy dock and 3 fishing piers, 1 for senior citizens and disabled children, 2 for general public use. Enhancing the lake is a 60 acre park with scenic shaded picnic areas, 3 picnic shelters and 2 sand volleyball courts. Boating and fishing permits are required.
Claremore Lake was developed in 1929 with the completion of the dam. Prior to 1929, this area was farm land and large rock bluffs with Dog Creek running through it. Dog Creek travels from the north and is the main feeder creek for the Lake. Dog Creek is named for Dosage Chief Black Dog, one of the three main chiefs of the Dosage tribe when they dominated the area.
In 1938, the WPA constructed a unique two-story boat house on the lake. The first floor has oneroom with a chimney. The lower level, where boats dock, contains a small room the Claremore police once used as a jail.
SUMMER DAY CAMP
The Happy Lake Day Camp is a program designed to encourage children's involvement in many different group activities. The camp acquaints your child with a variety of activities including arts & crafts; games; canoeing; horseback riding and swimming. Registration begins in April. The camp is held the first two weeks of June and is for boys & girls in grades 1 st through 7th.
Live simulcast racing all year round.
Facility rental available for:
*reunions * luncheons * receptions
Cowboy Club to feature live entertainment.
Indoor/outdoor roping barns available for rent.
Exhibition building also available for functions.
Folk-artist, Ed Galloway, spent his retirement years building a unique park, a monument to the American Indian from stone, concrete and his imagination. The center piece is a giant Totem Pole building supported by an enormous concrete turtle. Nearby is a "Fiddle House" in which were displayed hundreds of Galloway's hand-carved violins. Roadside tables supported by small concrete totems invite the travelers to picnic in the shadow of the Totem Pole.
In earlier years, Galloway taught wood-working to the children living at the Charles Page Home in Sand Springs, Oklahoma. He was well-known for his elaborately carved furniture, violins and wood pictures, many of which he displayed at the Park previous to 1962.
The Totem Pole Park Project has purchased 71/2 acres to expand the Park to include parking and picnic areas. The Totem Pole is one of Oklahoma's Landmarks and has been featured in several important articles and books on environmental folk art as "The World's Largest Totem Pole."
The public is encouraged to visit. Group tours can be arranged.
Tahlonteeskee was an uncle of Sequoyah and became the third chief of the Cherokees West, succeeding Takatoka. Tahlonteeskee and Doublehead, were signers of a treaty in 1805 that labeled them traitors. Tahlonteeskee departed for the West, Doublehead remained and was later slain by Major Ridge. Ridge later became a proponent of moving to the West. His group was called the Treaty Party, and he was killed after the forced removal to the West of the Eastern Cherokees.
Tahlonteeskee permitted missionaries to establish Dwight Mission in Arkansas. He died ca. 1818, and his brother, John Jolly became chief. A treaty in 1817 gave them land between the Arkansas and White Rivers. Soon after this treaty, John Jolly and John Rogers came to the area.
These early Cherokees who migrated from Georgia, Tennessee, and Alabama were called Arkansas or, Cherokees West, to distinguish them from their tribesmen who remained in the East. Later they were referred to as "Old Settlers."
Sept. 11, 1824, while still in Arkansas, the Cherokees formally organized their government along democratic lines. Executive power was vested in a - first, second, and third chief. John Jolly was elected first chief, Black Coat was second chief, and Walter Webber was third chief. War with the Osages necessitated having three leaders. In May, 1828, they were forced to give up land in Arkansas for land what is now Oklahoma.
Jolly's hewed log home had massive stone fireplace chimneys and large comfortable rooms. Other buildings served as homes for the servants who operated a large plantation, well stocked with cattle. His home was always open to visitors of which he had many. It is reported that Jolly never slaughtered less than one beef a week throughout the year for his table.
Jolly's name was Oo-loo-te-ke, meaning, "He-Puts-the-Drum-Away." Wise, intelligent, and affectionately called, "beloved father," he was a half-blood who spoke no English. Mixed bloods were considered full bloods if they spoke only Cherokee.
The Capital was established east of Jolly's home. The council house, grounds, and home of the first chief made up the national capital called Tahlonteeskee to honor the late chieftain. The general council met here to make laws from 1828-39.
After the forced removal of the Eastern Cherokees in 1838-39, Tahlonteeskee was discontinued. For a short time the capital was at Takatoka north of Tahlequah, but was eventually moved to Tahlequah, where it remains today. John Ross was the leader of the Eastern Cherokees, and he was elected principal chief. He served in this position for over 40 years.
Tahlonteeskee continued as the Illinois District and a meeting place for Old Settlers. Meetings were held at Tahlonteeskee with the purpose of settling differences between the factions of the tribe. By 1846, there was unification of the three factions, and the Cherokee faction moved into what has been referred to as the "Golden Age," as they became prosperous through their industry and cooperation. The outbreak of the Civil War ended this, as "battle lines" were drawn along the old divisions of the nation.
Excerpts from - C.W. "Dub" West, Among the Cherokees, 1981
H.D. Hagland, Sequoyah County Times, 1957
Starr, Early History of the Cherokees, 1917
Sequoyah's Home Site
Sequoyah's Home Site
Sequoyah's Home Site
The Kerr Center acquired the two-story home and the remaining 140 acres of the Overstreet Ranch in 1988 from the Overstreet-Short Mountain Foundation. Restoration of the historic home and outbuildings was completed in 1991. The restored home includes period rooms, original woodwork, and four hand-carved fireplaces. The Kerr Center has preserved many of the Overstreet family photos, records, and furnishings. The Overstreet-Kerr Historical Farm provides educational programs and displays that reflect the events and history at the turn of the century.
It has been said that "Things last longer than people." Things serve as a lasting record of the lives of people, giving the viewer knowledge, understanding, and an appreciation of the lifestyles, successes, and failures of a previous generation. By preserving these things, the Overstreet-Kerr Historical Farm helps to keep the source of such knowledge, understanding, and appreciation alive for future generations.
On May 21, 1871, T.G. Overstreet married Margaret Victor in Greene County, Mississippi. Later that year, the young man brought his bride to Indian Territory. Overstreet built a small log cabin, just south of the Arkansas River at the foot of Short Mountain and began to clear cane thickets along the river.
Since Margaret was part Choctaw Indian, the law entitled Overstreet to all the land that he cleared and one-fourth mile surrounding it. Soon the massive Overstreet Ranch encompassed 3,000 acres of rich Arkansas River bottomland. The ranch was well-known for its quality cattle, hogs, mules, horses, cotton, and
In 1890, Tom started work on the home that the family members refer to as the "big house." It has been said that it was built from bottom to top, without a knot or fault in a single piece of lumber. The impressive 15-room home was built in an unusual design with inside chimneys, back-to-back fireplaces, closets and a captain's walk, which were not characteristics seen in the area at the time.
Public Tours of Home and Grounds:
Hours & Days of Operation:
Live racing Friday - Sunday (Friday racing subject to schedule change). No live racing on Fridays during July. Post time 1pm.
Simulcast racing 7 days a week. Admission gates open 1 hour prior to first simulcast race and 1 1/2 hours prior to first post in live racing.
Parking $1, General Admission, $2, includes access to all stadium levels Reserved Seating, $3.50 for the Turf Club. Children under 12 years old, free admission. Senior Citizen Day (Free parking and general admission) on Friday when live racing is Friday through Sunday and on Sunday when racing on Saturday and Sunday only.
Payment Methods Accepted - American Express, VISA, Discover, Mastercard
Tour Group Services:
Advance Tour Group Reservations Required, Free Admission (Motorcoach Driver)
From I-40, take exit 308 (Highway 59) North to Highway 64. Turn left (West). Located approximately 1/2 mile on the left.
Wagoner was the first incorporated city in Indian Territory, as well as the first to establish a public school and a waterworks system. By 1895, the young town had numerous permanent buildings and several of these buildings still remain.
Built in 1895, the S.S. Cobb Building still stands as the centerpiece of Wagoner's Downtown area. It now houses the American Bank. It is interesting to note the dating at the top of the corner tower of this building that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, as it reads "1895 I.T. (Indian Territory). Wagoner was not incorporated until 1896.
The Wagoner Development Commission Building is so large is seems it could house the whole early-century city in one building!
Painted by the Wagoner Work Crew in 1999, the mural depicts the growth of Wagoner from the time of the Texas Road cattle drives through Indian Territory.
Located on the north side of the building adjacent to the courthouse at 3rd and Cherokee.
Semore Park became a beautiful addition to the downtown setting in 2000 and this artistic scene of the old Wagoner Depot becomes a background for relaxation while at the park.
Artist, Ben Hamm - 2000
Cherokee and Main
National Historic Register
207 NE 2nd
The Fred A. Parkinson House was built in1901. He was the manager of the Wagoner Hardware Company, which featured fine buggies, hardware and wagons.
National Historic Register
407 NE 3rd
Chief Payamataha (Pie-ya-ma-ta-ha) - "Leader of Those Assembled for War"
Payamataha was a king in the Chickasaw Nation during the mid to late 18th century. In his youth, he was known as Nouholubb, roughly translated to be "He Killed a White Man." Due to his war abilities, he ascended within the tribe's leadership and was named Payamataha. He was a champion of the Chickasaw ancestors, urging the preservation and protection of all things Chickasaw.
Speaker Opothle-Yahola ( O-bith-ly-Ya-ho-la)
During 1824, the Creek Nation was almost helplessly divided over the question of Indain removal from Georgia. In 1825, Washington sent more commissioners to yet another treaty-council in Indian Springs. This time a new Creek leader, Opothle-Yahola, led the young warriors of the Upper Towns. In 1826, even though the treaty was signed. Opothle-Yahola led a large delegation of Creek chiefs and warriors to Washington to protest. The treaty was, therefore, declared null and void by President John Quincy Adams and a new treaty signed. Opothle-Yahola was described by Colonel McKenney as "cool, cautious and sagacious; and with a tact which would have done credit to a more refined diplomatist..."
Chief Hulbutta Micco
"Alligator King," a.k.a., Billy Bowlegs, was the last hereditary Seminole Chief to leave the native lands of Florida. He was also the leader of the last of the Seminole Wars against removal. Hulbutta Micco tried to remain in seclusion in the Florida Everglades, but the demand for Seminole land continued. Various parties were sent to negotiate with Hulbutta; the government even offered him a substantial amount of money for his land to immigrate west. Eventually believing the promises of the government, he left his homeland and went to Indian Territory, he was never compensated, and the money was never paid. Once in Indian Territory, Hulbutta Micco became a Captain during the Civil War with the Union Army. When he later died, he was buried in the National Cemetery in Fort Gibson and his portrait hangs in the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C.
Pushmataha (Push-ma-ta-ha) - "Sprout Completed"
Born in 1764, Pushmataha was known in the Southwest as an outstanding individual and as a warrior. He knew very lettle of the parentage; tradition stating he was left an orphan at an early age. Pushmataha was said to be one of nature's nobility, a man who would have adorned any society, a warrior of great distinction, wise in council and eloquent in an extraordinary degree.
Thought to have been born sometime in 1700 at a place called Sevier's Island, Attakullakulla lived as a child along the banks of the Little Tennessee and Hiwassie Rivers. He was the first chief of the Cherokee people to be historically recorded and was the most celebrated and influential person among the tribes then known. Said the South Carolina Gazette on July 31, 1775, " He was the most fluent, most graceful and eloquent orator ever heard." Attakullakulla once said, "Some of the warriors of my nation, upon hearing stories true or false are immediately in a flame, but that is not my way - I love calmness and moderation."
Frank Phillips, an ambitious barber-turned-bond salesman from Iowa, visited Bartlesville in 1903 to assess business possibilities in the surrounding oil fields. He returned permanently two years later with his wife Jane and young son John. After a series of failures that nearly caused him to abandon the business, a string of eighty-one straight successful oil wells insured success. By 1909, he had completed construction of the Frank Phillips Home. From then until Frank's death in 1950, the home was the setting from which he, his family and friends, and the community that grew up around them played a key role in the development of the oil industry in America.
The original 26 room Neo-Classical mansion was remodeled twice. It underwent extensive interior redecoration the last time in 1930. It nonetheless retains the graceful external lines of the original design. Thereafter, neither the Phillips nor their granddaughter who donated the home to the Oklahoma Historical Society in 1973, made significant changes to the interior. Thus, with few exceptions, the furniture, decorations and even personal effects are original.
As a consequence, the Home depicts the lives, tastes, fashions, and values of the Phillips and their world during the first half of the 20th century. As an example of the personal home of an Oklahoma oil millionaire, it is a window through which you can step back to those times, and experience the home life of one of America's most fascinating oil men.
On the ground floor, your tour will include the spacious, richly paneled library, and the dining room where much of the entertaining was done. Here, and at their country lodge at Woolaroc south of Bartlesville, the Phillips received guests from near and far: personal friends, American and foreign businessmen, local ranchers and cowboys, and Native Americans with whom Frank felt a particular closeness. Frank was proud to have been adopted into the Osage tribe, and to wear their ceremonial attire.
On the second floor are Frank and Jane's distinctly different bedrooms and private baths, Jane's with gold fixtures and ceiling mirrors, and Frank's with his personal barbers chair. Also on the second floor is the bedroom of their beloved foster daughters, with its display of childhood animal friends and toys.
An expanded panorama of Frank and Jane's lives and interests is presented in the award-winning permanent exhibit in the garage behind the home. Included is information on the humble beginnings, family life, the oil business, Phillips Petroleum Company, and the many philanthropic endeavors with which they associated themselves throughout their lives
A stroll around the grounds as you leave, will reveal how graciously this elegant home still fits, nearly a century later, within the town setting it did so much to create.
The Director's Tour: This tour runs at 9:00 a.m. on Wed, Thurs, Fri. A special "behind the scenes" tour that includes the basement used by the Phillips family as a laundry area, and other areas that the normal tour does not cover. Allow 1 1/2 hours for this tour which ends in the estate's garden cottage with refreshments. Admission for this tour is $10 for adults, $7 for children.
Thomas Edward Mix was everything his surname suggest - a mix of myth and man, fantasy and reality. His own life rivaled his screen escapades, and he was enormously successful.
Mix arrived in Oklahoma during territorial times. At various times Tom worked as a bartender, and he also worked as a ranch hand on the 101. For a short time in 1911 Tom Mix served as town marshal in Dewey, Oklahoma, the site of the Tom Mix Museum. While working at the 101 Ranch, Tom met Selig and began his movie career.
Born in Mix Run, Pennsylvania on January 6, 1880, Tom's parents named him Thomas Hezikiah Mix. When he enlisted in the Army in April 1898, he listed his name as Thomas E. Mix. Tom lead a colorful life. He married five times and had two children - Ruth born July 13, 1912 to Olive Stokes and Thomasina born February 12, 1922 to Victoria Forde. Tom died October 11, 1940 in a car accident on a highway between Tucson and Florence, Arizona.
America's Matinee Idol
Mix's daredevil attitude and superb horsemanship made him a natural for the silent "western." Tom Mix's movie career spanned twenty-six years from 1909 through 1935. At various times he was under contract to five different studios: Selig, Fox FBO (Film Booking Office), University and Mascot. In all he made 336 feature films, produced 88, wrote 71 and directed 117.
Tom made only nine sound feature films and the 15 chapter serial "The Miracle Rider." "Talkies" first became popular as Tom developed an interest in the circus, and the recording technology was not advanced enough to film the type of outdoor adventures Mix specialized in.
Separating Fact From Fiction
Once his movie career took off Tom Mix lived his life in the public eye. Photos filled newspapers, magazines and posters. News releases were always interesting and exciting but not always true. Various stories reported Tom served as a Texas Ranger, fought with Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders and was wounded at the Battle of San Juan Hill in Cuba. Reports also had Tom in action in the Philippines and in China during the Boxer Rebellion. Mix claimed he fought on both sides during the Boer War in South Africa. NONE of this was true.
Tony "The Wonder Horse"
Tom Mix retired his first range pony and movie partner, Old Blue, in 1914 and purchased Tony. Tom and Tony executed their own stunts. Tony, "The Wonder Horse" became almost as popular as his master. He could untie his master's hands, perform amazing jumps or pull him away from a blazing fire. In 1932, Tom retired the "Wonder Horse" to the Mix stables in Universal City. Tony, Jr. completed the Universal films with Tom. Tom trained Tony, Jr. as a circus performer. Tony II, a large white horse, accompanied Tom on his second European tour in 1938. Tony appeared in 181 films. Tom's original horse "Old Blue" appeared in 87, and Tony, Jr. appeared in nine films, all "talkies."
Under the Big Top
Tom Mix remains the highest paid circus performer in history. His $10,000 per week salary has yet to be equaled. Tom starred with the Sells-Floto Circus in 1929 and 1931. After making movies in 1932 and 1933, Tom returned to circus life from 1934 through 1938 when the Depression took its toll on the large motorized circuses.
The Legend Continues ...
Return to the days when the good guys wore white hats and sample something of the magnitude of Tom Mix, the Myth and the Man, at the Tom Mix Museum in Dewey, Oklahoma. Museum exhibits include a replica of Tony "The Wonder Horse," and Tom's collection of saddles, boots, guns and clothing. Be sure to plan time to visit the museum's theater and watch one of Tom's movie adventures. Tom Mix movies are shown continuously in the museum's 30 seat theatre until 3:30 p.m. each day.
- Oklahoma Historical Society