While camped near Old Austin in 1862, a large group of Texas Confederate soldiers were overcome by a measles epidemic, causing the deaths of several hundred. In 1907
Final resting place for prominent Arkansans, this National Register cemetery, established in 1843, has been called "The Westminster of Arkansas." Includes the grave of 17
Grounds were used as a Union campground and later as both a Union and Confederate graveyard. A wall erected between the Union and Confederate sections was taken down in 1913
Historic cemetery lies on the upsurge of Crowley's Ridge at the northern edge of town. Burial place of Helena resident Gen. Patrick Cleburne, known as "the Stonewall Jackson of the West."
The Confederate Section of this cemetery is the final resting place for more than 200 Confederate soldiers; over 150
Directions: 1/4 mile north of Ark. 8 Features an intact section of the Camden-Pine Bluff Road, where one of Union General Frederick Steele'
Directions: Six blocks south of Courthouse Square on South Washington Street.
Used as a campground by a number of Arkansas, Texas and Louisiana units between late 1861 and early 1863
Directions: Near Rondo United Methodist Church The tiny town of Rondo became the repository of some state records in 1864
Earliest tombstone is that of Captain Gookin, who died in 1842, the same year the city was incorporated. Other personalities buried here include Arkansas Governor William Fishback (1833-1895);
When the first Fort Smith was laid out in 1817, land was set aside for a military cemetery. Granted national status in 1867, the 21-acre U.S. National Cemetery contains almost 10,000