On an August evening in 1880, a small group of concerned Christian people gathered in the home of Mrs. Martha Matson. They hoped to establish a place for worship in the young village of Genoa. Until this time, there were no churches in this small community and these people were aware of the need for a church.
For many months worship services were held in the Pawnee Government Building, which also housed over 15 families, the greater part of the village population. In April 1881, a plan was adopted and $50 was raised to send a member back to her home in Massachusetts to raise funds to build a church in Genoa. She returned with $1,000. In the spring of 1882, ground was broken and after many delays the church building was dedicated on May 8, 1883.
Through over 100 years the church has continued and has received its renovations of heating, plumbing, lighting, fixtures and furniture, and stained glass windows. Today, as when first organized, the church continues in new paths to best serve the spiritual needs of the people in this changing community.
Address: Webster and Pine Streets
Come visit us in Nebraska, Nebraska