LASR.net Homepage



Menu

Nebraska Historic Churches

  • Evangelical Free Church

    Evangelical Free Church

    Originally built as the First Presbyterian Church in 1909

  • Trinity Lutheran Church of Friedensau

    Trinity Lutheran Church of Friedensau

    Located three miles north of this corner, near the Little Blue River, the village of Friedensau, "Peaceful Meadows," was established in 1874

  • St. Anthony's Catholic Church

    St. Anthony's Catholic Church

    St. Anthony's Catholic Church, with its many stained glass windows, rivals churches in Europe. It's Rose Petal window is especially beautiful. Mass Schedule: Saturday: 5:30 PM (year round)

  • St. John's Catholic Church

    St. John's Catholic Church

    St. John's Catholic Church, built in 1877, has recently been restored to its original color. The unique and beautiful murals thoughout the interior were painted by a Russian refugee nearly 50

  • St. Mary's Cathedral

    St. Mary's Cathedral

    Cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary - National Register of Historic Places

    St. Mary's Cathedral is one of the finest Late Gothic Revival churches in the state, constructed in 19

  • St. Stephen's Episcopal Church

    St. Stephen's Episcopal Church

    This landmark English Gothic structure opened for worship on July 7, 1889

  • Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church

    Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church

    Evangelische Lutherische Dreinenigkeit Kirche - National Register of Historic Places

    Plans for the Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church were adopted in 1890

  • Pilgrim Congregational Church and Manse

    Pilgrim Congregational Church and Manse

    Constructed in 1870-71, this building served as both a chapel and a training school. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

  • Christ Episcopal Church

    Christ Episcopal Church

    The Christ Episcopal Church was built in 1866

  • Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Salem Church - NHR

    Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Salem Church - NHR

    Built in 1906, and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this is one of Nebraska'

  • Emmanuel Lutheran Church -NHR

    Emmanuel Lutheran Church -NHR

    The Emmanuel Lutheran Church, located in the town of Dakota City , was the first Lutheran Church to be built in the Nebraska Territory. It is believed to be the oldest church

  • Immanuel Lutheran Church

    Immanuel Lutheran Church

    Erected in 1887, the Immanuel Lutheran Church is the oldest Missouri Synod Lutheran Church in Nebraska. Established in 1868

  • St. Anthony's Church

    St. Anthony's Church

    St. Anthony's Church, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was constructed in 1919

  • St. Bonaventure Catholic Church Complex

    St. Bonaventure Catholic Church Complex

    The St. Bonaventure complex consists of the brick church, a three-story brick school, a two-story frame rectory, a one-story frame parish hall, and the church cemetery and orchard. Listed on the

  • Early Churches

    Early Churches

    Some of the early churches that are serving Valparaiso are:

    Mary A. Johnson Episcopal Church was dedicated in 1881.

    Church of Christ was dedicated in October, 1883.<

  • Deutsche Evangelische Lutherische St. Johannes

    Deutsche Evangelische Lutherische St. Johannes

    St. John's German Evangelical Lutheran Church is an excellent example of a German folk version of the Gothic Revival style. Unique in its rich wood and metal detailing, St. John'

  • St. Stephen's Episcopal Church - NHR

    St. Stephen's Episcopal Church - NHR

    St. Stephen's Episcopal Church is a fine example of Gothic Revival architecture. Board and batten construction

  • Congregational Church/Library

    Congregational Church/Library

    The Weeping Water Public Library was constructed by community effort in 1871. Built of native limestone, it served as the Congregational Church until a new brick church was constructed in 1887-90

  • Augustana Lutheran Church

    Augustana Lutheran Church

    Augustana Lutheran Church's organizing charter was signed October 31, 1910. A group of Swedish Lutherans had settled in the area north and east of Genoa. Work began as early as 1908

  • Congregational Church

    Congregational Church

    On an August evening in 1880

  • Chautaqua Tabernacle

    Chautaqua Tabernacle

    The Chautauqua, which operated annual summer assemblies from 1889 until the 1920's, based on high moral standards and offered secular and religious

  • Christ Church Episcopal

    Christ Church Episcopal

    This church listed on the National Register of Historic Places is an Early Gothic piece of architecture whose cornerstone was laid in 1889

  • Centenary United Methodist

    Centenary United Methodist

    This impressive limestone church was erected in 1929

  • Methodist Church

    Methodist Church

    The oldest church in Superior was built by the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1889-1892. Construction started in 1889, the basement was used for services in 1890, and the building was dedicated in 1892

  • Willie's Chapel

    Willie's Chapel

    Wilfred Miller completed this chapel in 1995. He built it the same size as the "World's Littlest Church"

  • St. Martin's Catholic Church

    St. Martin's Catholic Church

    St. Martin's Catholic Church was designed by architect James H. Craddock in the Gothic Revival style and was erected in 1907-8. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

  • St. Wenceslaus Catholic Church

    St. Wenceslaus Catholic Church

    The first group of Czech settlers to come to the vicinity of Wahoo arrived in August of 1874. These settlers, who were of the Catholic faith, had to travel 15 to 20

  • First Congregational Church

    First Congregational Church

    The First Congregational Church was organized at Eldred, 12

  • Bethlehem Lutheran Church

    Bethlehem Lutheran Church

    The first Lutheran services ever conducted in Wahoo were in 1880

  • First United Methodist Church

    First United Methodist Church

    The religious work done by the circuit riders in the 1860s and early 1870

  • Ceski Bratri Cemetery and Chapel

    Ceski Bratri Cemetery and Chapel

    The Chapel at Ceski Bratri Cemetery is the oldest Czech Catholic Church building in Nebraska. Built in 1874 just northwest of the cemetery, it was moved to the current location in 1901

  • Stockholm Swedish Church and Cemetery

    Stockholm Swedish Church and Cemetery

    While other county communities have no museum, some historic places are still making memories by preserving the past and serving future needs. In the summer of 2000

  • St. Mary's Catholic Church

    St. Mary's Catholic Church

    In 1878 the German Pieta arrived at the spectacular St. Mary's Catholic Church in Orleans via wagon freight. It was given to the church by Frank Hufnagel,

  • "The Little Church By the Park"

    In 1909, a little white frame church was built on an acre of ground donated by Ernest and Mary Love. It was called New Hope. Around the year 1920

  • Little Church of Keystone

    Little Church of Keystone

    The Little Church at Keystone is a monument to religious harmony. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this combined Catholic/

  • Grace Episcopal Church

    Grace Episcopal Church

    Built in 1884 on the corner of Second and Walnut, the Grace Protestant Episcopal Church was moved to its present location in 1891. The brick veneer was added sometime after 1922

  • The Methodist Church

    The Methodist Church

    [The Methodist Church]

  • First Presbyterian Church

    First Presbyterian Church

    In August of 1904, the ground on which the church now stands was purchased for the sum of $450. Ground was broken in August 1905 and the original building was competed in early 1907

  • First Presbyterian Church

    First Presbyterian Church

    Included on Howard County's historic church tour is the First Presbyterian Church, the oldest church in St. Paul. On October 26, 1879, the Reverend G.L. Little, missionary, met with 12

  • St. John's Lutheran German Church & Cemetery

    The German-Lutheran congregation was established in 1886, and the present frame church building was constructed in 1925-26

  • First United Methodist Church

    First United Methodist Church

    Established, 1884 Built, 1917

  • Bethel Evangelical Lutheran Church

    Bethel Evangelical Lutheran Church

    Established, 1877 Built, 1921

  • St. Elizabeth's Episcopal Church

    St. Elizabeth's Episcopal Church

    Established, 1892 Built, 1958