The Desert Wells Stage Stop is reported to have been a small spur stop for the Arizona Stage Company, founded in 1868. The stop provided water, shade, and protection for stages that came from Florence via Olberg and continued through the gap in the San Tan Mountains on to Mesa, Arizona. This stage route was in use in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
It was described by the pioneers as a simple one room building about 10 foot square, constructed of rock with a mud and thatched roof.
There was a trough running around three of the sides that was used for watering the horses, a porch on the south side and a well close by to fill the trough. It had one four-foot door on the south side and small gun ports instead of windows.
Hours: Outdoor viewing
Address: Sossaman Rd north of Chandler Heights Rd
Come visit us in Arizona, Arizona