This tiny cave was the temporary home of an Italian hermit, Giovanni Maria Augustini, who lived here for a brief period in the spring of 1863
Like its name warns, this store was once the "last chance" for travelers on the Santa Fe Trail to buy supplies for their journey to New Mexico. Built in 1857
The Hillmon Schoolhouse was the sixth school district to be organized in Norton County. The school houses were numbered as they were built and the Hillmon School was District 6
State Historic Site In 1982
Cottonwood Ranch was purchased by the Kansas Historical Society in 1982. The Ranch established in the late 1800'
Nicodemus is the only remaining all African-American pioneer town west of the Mississippi. It was established in 1877 by ex-slaves from Kentucky and Tennesse. In 1976
The sod house shows the ingenuity of the homesteaders. The late 19th century dwelling exhibits furniture, clothing and other artifacts of pioneer life on the prairie.
About four miles east of Lakin on highway 50
Chouteau's Island was the largest island of timber on the Arkansas River in this area. In the spring of 1816
The Aubrey Route, which left the Santa Fe Trail on the Arkansas River at Chouteau'
As one of the last acts of his presidency, James Monroe signed a bill on March 3, 1825 which provided $10,000 for surveying the road and $20,000 to treat with Indians for right-of-way. On March 16
The following are two accounts detailing the Leoti-Coronado county seat fight.
Account taken from the Coronado Herald, June 16
Preparing Southwest Kansas for settlement often ended in tragedy for both Indian and white man. On August 24, 1874
The first trail through the area was made by the Jones &
As a visitor to Lake Scott State Park you'
Wild Horse Corral
Wagon Bed Springs, sometimes called Lower Cimarron Springs, on the Cimarron River in Southwest Kansas afforded the first water during the dry season on the 60
On September 19, 1846 a 500 man Morman Battalion arrived at the Springs on their way to California to fight in the Mexican War. Thirsty and weary from a forced march 50
The city of Wellington, Kansas, lies just 7 miles east of the cattle trail of the 1870's that led to the largest cattle market of its time in the entire world. While those days are over 120
The log cabin home was built on this site in 1867
The "Little Town"
Built of limestone, this two story structure opened in 1869
Located 13 miles southwest of Independence, just off of Highway 75
The log cabin was built east of the Lowell Cemetery in the 1870s. R.A. Hibbard built it as a home for his brother-in-law'
If morality was disregarded by some elements of society, those who chose to flout the law often wound up in places like this, the old jail at Lebo.
Although it is over the county line in Osage County, the Arvonia Schoolhouse was the focus for Lebo'
The first city jail was built in 1888 of native sandstone at a cost of $27.00. The town "Marshall" was W.V. Toner.
The 1854 Log Cabin is listed on the Kansas Register of Historic Place