Catholicism in Peirce City is as old as the town itself when in 1870 the Frisco railroad laid the first tracks through here going west to Kansas. Many of the railroaders were Irish Catholics.
The United Methodist Church was built in 1881 at a location a few blocks north of its present location in 1903. Originally in the 1870
The beautiful, stately, historic church, known familiarly as Brick Church because of its 17-inch thick brick walls, stands solidly in a picturesque setting of prairie land.
Up to 1883 all Catholics in the area belonged to St. Patrick's Church which was organized in 1871
- Benedictine monastery founded in 1873. Highlights: The Basilica of the Immaculate Conception (dedicated in 1891, rare example of Beuronese murals);
- The Christian church in Anderson was built in 1906
- When the First Presbyterian Church was completed in 1916, the congregation started the service that day in the old church located at 129 E. Church and walked to the new Church to end the service.
- The Catholic Church was built in 1905 from bricks said to have come from Verona.
THIS BUILDING WAS DEMOLISHED AFTER EXTENSIVE DAMAGE FROM THE MAY 4, 2003, TORNADO. THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH'S NEW BUILDING IS LOCATED ON HWY 97 JUST NORTH OF LAWRENCE COUNTY ROAD 2220 (
- The oldest church in Morgan County, founded in 1868 by Irish immigrants. Placed on the National Register of Historic Sites in 1979
- Church was built in 1889. Moved to present location at the Museum complex in 1998
- One of the largest number of historical churches in one area of Jefferson County. Circa 1800s historical homes. Cemetaries with headstones dating back to 1700
- Beautifully restored, Historic (1853) church, built in English-Gothic style architecture. Tours, concerts, weekly 10
- Twice destroyed by fire, the Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Aldermanbury, is part of the Winston Churchill Memorial. The Church, which dates from the 12