The cornerstone for the present church was laid August 4, 1915 and the structure was dedicated May 15, 1916 by the Most Reverend Bishop Ward of Leavenworth in the presence of 25 priests, Abbot Innocent Wolf, O.S.B. of Atchison and a vast congregation.
The Sanctuary of St. Leo's Church is done in pastel colors and is considered to be one of the finest in the northeastern part of the State. It contains beautiful stained glass windows, depicting various events in the life of Christ in addition to the exquisite statuaries and beautiful altars. The church is 150 feet long, 120 feet high, and can seat 500 people. Visitors are impressed by it's beauty. It was designed along Romanesque lines by architect Leo Bauer and built by his father, Vic Bauer. In 1979 it was completely refurbished; and in 1984 the Tracker Organ (1895) was completely restored.
Address: 1300 First Avenue East
Come visit us in Kansas, Kansas