Gosper County was organized in 1873 with Daviesville the first county seat. The community retained that standing until 1884 when a county election made Homerville the county seat. With construction of the Burlington Railroad in the county beginning in 1886
Gallagher Canyon (400 acres) and Plum Creek (320 acres) offer good spring crappie fising in the coves, as well as channel and flathead catfish. Drum and carp are common catches here. Both lakes have gravel boat ramps.
Gallagher Canyon is located 10 miles west of Elwood on Highway 23;
Lakeside Country Club is a semi-private course located immediately south of Johnson Lake and lying along the entire length of its dam. It is an 18-hole Bent grass course with water in play, built in 1967
After camping just two miles south and east of where the Plum Creek emptied into the Platte River on August 7, 1864, the Morton party set out at 6 o'clock in the morning. They had joined with nine other wagons the night before to make a train of 12. Nancy Morton'