No other community in the United States is known by the name "ALVO." Early settlers had come to this area as early as 1869, they had established post offices, school district and towns. The railroad was the main means of transportation, so towns were established along it's lines.
Alvo reportedly received its name from the first child born after the community began to form around the depot. Her name was Alvo and she was the daughter of the railroad's master.