Anderson Book and Office Supply was established in 1892 in a vacant lot at 420 N. Main. Phillip Murray Anderson opened a magazine and newspaper stand in a "piano box" 8 by 16 feet. In addition to news, he also sold candy, tobacco, cold drinks, and baked goods and sandwiches made by his mother. The business moved several times prior to settling at its present location at 627 N. Main in 1939. The current building is believed to be one of Newton's oldest Main Street landmarks. The past is still evident in its wood floor and metal ceiling. This building was originally occupied by the JC Penny Co. known then as the "Golden Rule Store." The original store name is still visible in the tile located in the entry way.
Come visit us in Newton, Kansas