LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Atkinson Log House


category : Pioneer Life
Atkinson Log House This building houses the two-story Atkinson Log House, constructed in 1858 on Clark's Creek near Large Spring near Latimer, and moved to this site in 1996. It is one of the two oldest wooden structures known to remain in Morris County.

The Log house was built by Stephen Atkinson, his father, Cornelius, and his brother, James. They were the first settlers on Upper Clark's Creek.


Come visit us in Council Grove, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Hays House

Town founder Seth Hays, a grandson of Daniel Boone and cousin of Kit Carson, opened the Hays House in 1857. Over the years, the Hays House was a gathering place for church services, court trials, bawdy theatricals and politicians\'

Council Grove, KS Restaurants

Terwilliger Home

With its foundation laid in Kansas Territory, the Terwilliger Home was built alongside the famed Santa Fe Trail as Kansas became the 34th state. Built by Abraham and Mary Rawlinson in 1860-61, this stone home was the last house freighters passed going West when leaving Council Grove as late as 18

Council Grove, KS Historic Homes

Hermit's Cave

This tiny cave was the temporary home of an Italian hermit, Giovanni Maria Augustini, who lived here for a brief period in the spring of 1863. Later that year, the religious mystic left with a wagon train, walking the 500 miles to New Mexico.

Council Grove, KS Pioneer History

Farmers and Drovers Bank Building

A Council Grove landmark, the Farmers and Drovers Bank is one of the community's most ornate buildings. The two-story red brick bank with limestone trim was built in 1892 for $20,000. Its "eclectic"

Council Grove, KS Historic Buildings

Field School House

The one-room Field School, closed at the end of the 1945-46 school year, is remarkably well preserved. It was moved from its original site 8 miles south of Council Grove to Maple Camp in 1999

Council Grove, KS Historic Schoolhouses

Things to do Pioneer Life near Council Grove, KS

Cowboy Jail

The stone building was used to house prisoners before the courthouse was finished in 1883. ...