LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Atoka, Oklahoma

Atoka, Oklahoma

The city of Atoka was named for Capt. Atoka, Choctaw leader and signer of the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek, 1830, providing Choctaw removal from Mississippi to Indian Territory.

Atoka County was organized in the Choctaw Nation in 1854. This was an important Atoka Agreement with the United States, to close Choctaw and Chickasaw governments, and signed in this city in 1897. - Historical Marker

The city was founded in 1867 by Rev. J.S. Murrow, a Baptist Missionary. Capt. Atoka was buried about twenty miles east of town near the town of Farris. When the section was surveyed, the chief\\\'s resting place was found and marked. Be sure to visit the Confederate Memorial Museum, Cemetery, and Information Center with memorabilia from a Civil War battle fought on February 13, 1864, stone artifacts, tableaux, clothing and weapons.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Confederate Memorial Museum and Cemetery

The museum offers a unique look into the varied history of southeastern Oklahoma. From pre-historic bones, the Choctaw Trail of Tears and a stop on the Butterfield Stage Line, to homegrown talents Reba McEntire and the late Lane Frost, the museum and it'

Atoka, OK Museums

Historic Churches

M.E. Church - 1915 2nd Street, 1

Atoka, OK Historic Churches

Confederate Cemetery

The "burying ground" was first used by emigrants traveling on the Butterfield Stage road who camped at a spring, which was later called "Harkins' Spring," just north of the Middle Boggy River (today known as the Muddy Boggy).

Atoka, OK Cemeteries

Boggy Depot Cemetery

Adjoining Boggy Depot Townsite is the 1830s Middle Boggy Battlefield Site and Cemetery. The townsite and cemetery are listed on the National Register of Historic Places and on the Oklahoma's list of Oldest Historical Places.

Atoka, OK Cemeteries

Historic Downtown

Take in some of Atoka's History by viewing the historic downtown buildings. 1901 Bank Building

Atoka, OK Historic Downtowns

Things to do near Atoka, OK

Cemeteries and Genealogy

The Pontotoc Co. Historical and Genealogical Society was organized in October, 1967 in the home of Mrs. Mattie Logsdon at Ada...

Three Valley Museum

The Three Valley Museum opened in 1976. The name comes from the book written by Henry McCreary, titled "Queen of Three Valley...

Tishomingo Golf Course

Tishomingo Golf Course is a semi-private, 9 hole golf course that is located alongside the Pennington Creek. This has a regul...