LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Fort Leavenworth, Kansas

  • Headquarters Area

    Headquarters AreaHeadquarters area buildings are named for Generals Sherman, Grant, and Sheridan. They were built from 1859 to 1904 and are on the site of the former soldiers burying ground. ...
    Headquarters Area
  • U.S. Disciplinary Barracks

    U.S. Disciplinary BarracksThe "DB," as it is known, was established as a military prison in 1873. The buildings inside date from 1863 to 1964. The DB is the only military maximum security facility. This USDB closed in 2003...
    U.S. Disciplinary Barracks
  • Barth Hall and the "Beehive"

    Barth Hall and the Barth Hall, the building on the corner of Kearney and McCellan Avenues, was the home in 1881 of the School of Application for Cavalry and Infantry, the predecessor of the Command and General Staff Col...
    Barth Hall and the "Beehive"
  • Syracuse Houses

    Syracuse HousesThe two frame houses are known as the Syracuse Houses because they were designed in 1855 by E.V. Carr, a prominent architect from Syracuse, New York. Lt. Colonel George Custer and his wife lived in on...
    Syracuse Houses

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Sutler's Home

Built in 1841 as the residence of the post sutler, Hiram Rich, who supplied the troops with such "nonissued items" as tobacco, writing paper, and whiskey.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Famous Homes

Frontier Army Museum

The Frontier Army Museum depicts the Frontier Army (1817-1917) and history of Fort Leavenworth (1827-present). The original collection began in 1939 when the wagon shop at Fort Leavenworth closed and the horse-drawn vehicles were relocated and called the "Old Rolling Wheels Museum". In 1960

Fort Leavenworth, KS Museums

Main Parade Ground

The main parade ground was originally the center of post activities. Post reviews and parades were held here during negotiations with federal officials in the 1800s.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Military History

Headquarters Area

Headquarters area buildings are named for Generals Sherman, Grant, and Sheridan. They were built from 1859 to 1904 and are on the site of the former soldiers burying ground.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Buildings

Memorial Chapel

Built in 1878 by prison labor from stone quarried on the post and, today, is considered to be an outstanding architectural "gem" in this area.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Churches

Things to do near Fort Leavenworth, KS

Republican Party in Kansas

It was on May 18, 1859, that the Republican Party was organized in Kansas by Horace Greeley at the Osage Valley Hotel which s...

Lake Miola

Located within Paola city limits, offers a variety of water sports-- boating, water-skiing, swimming, sunbathing and fishing ...