Originally opened in 1883 to horse and buggy traffic, this one lane iron bridge replaced ferries that linked Vernon and Bentonsport. It is the oldest standing truss bridge across the Des Moines River and also the longest. Damaged in the flood of 1903, it was repaired and opened to vehicles once more. It was renovated by the Bentonsport Improvement Association in 1994. It is now open for foot traffic and bicycles.
Come visit us in Bentonsport, Iowa