The Blackwell House is known as the oldest house in Canton. This residence was built for Henry F. Blackwell, II and his wife Nannie Jane Blackwell. An early merchant in Canton, Blackwell also served as County Sheriff. Records state that the house was built in 1886 and was home to the Blackwell's and their eight children. Many alterations and changes were made to the house through the years and several rooms were added. Continuously occupied by Blackwell family members until 1975, the house was donated to the City of Canton by descendants of the original occupants in 1988.
Come visit us in Canton, Texas