The Old Depot Museum contains railroad memorabilia of the Houston and Texas Central Railroad. A metal caboose and wooden caboose sit beside the old depot. A newspaper article stated the passenger train would leave Houston at 2:30 p.m. and arrive in Burton at 5:30 p.m. to connect with the stagecoach leaving for La Grange, Bastrop, Austin, San Marcos, New Braunfels, and San Antonio.
"Burton began as a terminal on the Houston & Texas Central Railroad in 1870. A depot, built that year, burned in 1898 and was replaced by this structure. Built according to standard plans of the Southern Pacific Railroad (which absorbed the Houston & Texas Central), it exhibits elements of the Queen Anne and Italianate styles. Outstanding features include wide overhanging eaves and "sunburst" gable windows typical in Southern Pacific structures." - Historical Marker
The Burton Heritage Society cares for the Depot, as well as another historic site in Burton, the Mt. Zion Baptist church and cemetery. The Burton Depot was moved back to near it's original location and restored.
The Burton Heritage Society was formed in 1973. Its first project was caring for the Mt. Zion Cemetery. The Burton Baptist Church was donated to the Society and was moved on the Mt. Zion Cemetery property, it's original site and restored. The old Burton State Bank Building was given to the Society and also has been restored. Now it houses the Burton City Hall.
Admission: Donations appreciated
Hours: Tours by appointment
Address: Railroad St & FM 390 in Burton, Texas
Our Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Come visit us in Burton, Texas