Burton is a small, historic community located 12 miles west of Brenham on U.S. 290. The original community was situated two miles northwest of its present site of Yegua Creek, and was first known as Kerr Settlement, then later called Union Hill. When the railroad bypassed Union Hill, the settlement shifted around 1870 to property on the railroad line owned by John and Elizabeth Burton. This site became the terminal for the Houston and Texas Central Railroad. Cotton farming reigned in the area and Burton prospered throughout the late 1800s.
The Annual Cotton Gin Festival usually takes place the third weekend in April.