"Victorian" describes Calvert for the many business buildings and residences that have historical medallions. Calvert was named for Robert Calvert, a descendant of Lord Baltimore, a plantation owner who donated the town site. In 1871, Calvert had the largest cotton gin in the world. Much of the city is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The quaint downtown features a number of antique stores. Bed and breakfast accommodations are available in some of the historic buildings.