LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Cameron, Texas

The county seat of Milam County, Cameron was established in 1846, and is located on the Little River. It was named for Ewen Cameron, a Scot highlander prominent in the Texas Revolution; the county was named for another independence fighter, Ben Milam, whose statue is on the courthouse grounds. The downtown has been revitalized, with the renovation of the historic courthouse and an 1891 Victorian-style building that now serves as Cameron City Hall. Enjoy a walking tour of the historic downtown; experience history and progress coming together.

Cameron lies at the crossroads of U.S. 77 and Texas 36, a segment of the Ports to Plains Highway connecting the state's heartland to the coastal ports.

Be sure to visit the restored Victorian homes, the Magnolia Inn and Travis Tea Room, for tours, lodging, and dining.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

St. Monica's Catholic Church

Founded in 1883, the congregation of St. Monica's Catholic Church erected this structure in 1927-28

Cameron, TX Historic Churches

Milam County Historical Museum

Housed in the restored county jail, c. 1895, the Milam County Historical Museum is complete with cells, shackles, and gallows tower. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, view exhibits of pioneer farm and ranch equipment, rustic household furnishings, and Spartan "fashions"

Cameron, TX Museums

North Elm Cemetery

Many of the Settlers of North Elm came from Alabama beginning in 1867, including John George LaGrone (1792-1870), whose dated gravestone is the oldest in this burial ground. Land for the cemetery was initially deeded by B. J. Arnold in 1883

Cameron, TX Cemeteries

The Bridges of Milam County

Some of Milam county's 100-plus steel bridges from the 1900 era are still in use today. Brushy Creek Bridge once spanned Bushy Creek south of Thorndale until it was moved to Cameron'

Cameron, TX Historic Bridges

First United Methodist Church of Cameron

This congregation began as part of the early Methodist missionary effort in Texas. A camp meeting was held in Milam County in 1841, four years after the first Methodist preachers came to Texas. By 1847, the Rev. Josiah Whipple had helped to organize this church. Until 1885

Cameron, TX Historic Churches

Things to do near Cameron, TX

Old Fort Graham

A U.S. military post was established in 1849 at Fort Graham. As the line of settlement moved westward, the need for the fort ...

Grapevine Municipal Golf Course -Bluebonnet

Course Access: PublicHoles: 9Reserve Advance Tee Times: Yes...

Lake Waco Country Club -Par 3

Course Access: Semi-PrivateHoles: 18Reserve Advance Tee Times: 7 days...