In 1804, Congress authorized construction of a lighthouse on Cape Lookout, the southernmost tip of the Outer Banks barrier islands. Completed in 1812, the Cape Lookout light was reconstructed in 1859 to its height of 163 feet and, today, is still an acting aid to navigation. It was painted with its distinctive black and white diamond pattern in 1873. A new keeper's quarters was constructed at the same time. The keeper's quarters is accessible to visitors on a seasonal basis. There is no access by road to the undeveloped islands of the Cape Lookout National Seashore. Ferry services are available from Davis, Atlantic, Harkers Island, Beaufort, and Morehead City.
Come visit us in Harkers Island, North Carolina