LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Charlie's Ruts


category : Pioneer History
Charlie's Ruts About four miles east of Lakin on highway 50 is a very good view of wagon ruts. Five sets of Santa Fe Trail ruts are easily made out. At the foot of the ruts, to the west, is a parking area with a state historical marker giving a brief description. To the immediate north-east of the parking area more ruts can be seen.

When Charlie Bentrup became owner of this ground, he realized the importance of these Trail relics, and did his best to preserve them. His son, Paul, also has done his best to preserve them as well as the history of the Santa Fe Trail.


LASR - Lakin, Kansas - Charlie's Ruts

Come visit us in Lakin, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Santa Fe Depot

Lakin originated as one of the early stops on the Santa Fe Railroad from Dodge City to Colorado in 1872. This depot, constructed in 1876, replaced the original boxcar depot. The depot was moved to the museum site and restored in 1984. Mr. James Thomas, grandson of the O'

Lakin, KS Railroad History

Loucks Municipal Park

Sunshine and fresh air abound at Loucks Municipal Park, two miles west of Lakin on U.S. HWY 50. Donated by Charles A. and Rhonda Loucks in 1950, Loucks is an 80

Lakin, KS Recreation

Columbian School House

The Columbian Schoolhouse, built in 1893, was named after the Columbian Exposition held in Chicago. Later shortened to Columbia, the school conducted its last class approximately 1945. This one room school was moved to the museum site from 15 miles north of Lakin and restored in 1984.

Lakin, KS Historic Schoolhouses

Round Red Barn

The Kearny County Historical Society has purchased the old, 12-sided barn on the west edge of Lakin. It was restored at its present site, and then moved to a foundation at the Museum Complex in 2001. The barn was built in 1909

Lakin, KS Historic Buildings

Conestoga Wagon

The Conestoga Wagons were used primarily to haul freight on the Santa Fe Trail and other freight trails. They could handle two tons of goods. The wagon in our displayed in the Museum Comples bears the inscription "Joseph Edgar - 1831". There is a series of 1939

Lakin, KS Pioneer History

Things to do Pioneer History near Lakin, KS

Bluff Station

Bluff station was southeast of Indian Mound, on the east side of a sand creek which circles north and east of the Mound and f...

Aubey Route

The Aubrey Route, which left the Santa Fe Trail on the Arkansas River at Chouteau's Island and Indian Mound, west of Lakin, c...