LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Coffey County Cemeteries


category : Cemeteries
The Coffey County Museum features a large genealogy library with cemetery listings, obituaries, all county newspapers from 1859 on micro-film, Coffey County census, county atlas 1878, 1901, 1919, and more.

A numbered location map is available by contacting the Museum.


LINCOLN CEMETERY - May 1888 LEBO CREEK/HOOVER/BENEDICT CEMETERY - Lebo Creek deeded 1880. Hoover sold by Jacob Hoover for $2. Benedict circa 1860
OLD HOOVER CEMETERY - Circa 1860 BOWMAN/ADGATE/INDIAN CEMETERY - Bowman deeded 1929, Adgate has a "Military Circle" to honor the military commitment of Civil War soldiers. Indian (originally Ottumwa) circa 1850.
STRAWN CEMETERY - Orgianlly Kite, deed dated 1884. BAILEY CEMETERY - Also called Fair View, donated by Samuel H. Bailey March 1, 1871.
BAKER CEMETERY - Also called Otter Creek, originally a family burial for the Caseys. First recorded burial, 1864. APOSTOLIC GERMAN/CHRISTIAN CEMETERY - Donated by George and Elizabeth Storrer in 1883.
TEACHOUT CEMETERY - Named for Henry Teachout, first burial, 1891. GRIDLEY CEMETERY - Owen D. Fessenden requested upon his death that his burial plot become a cemetery, 1896.
WHARTON CEMETERY - Also called Fairhope, deeded 1871 for $1. BIG CREEK CEMETERY - First burial recorded in 1870.
COLA HILL CEMETERY - Also called Pleasant Grove, dated 1873. CALVARY CEMETERY - Recorded 1883.
GRACELAND/COUNTY FARM CEMETERY - Graceland first burial 1922. County Farm burials are unmarked, circa 1920. MT. HOPE CEMETERY - One of the oldest in Coffey County. Horse drawn funeral carriages were used to transport the casket; mourners walked behind. Circa 1870.
CRANDALL CEMETERY - established with the passing of Warren Crandall in 1922, and is a private burial ground. LEROY CEMETERY - Deed dated 1866. Among the burials: an unknown horse thief, and a seeing-eye dog, Jack.
WOOSTER CEMETERY - Also called Wimer, Circa 1890. LOGUE CEMETERY - First burial 1862.
SCHLICHTER CEMETERY - Also called Fair View, deeded 1884 for $1 STOELTZING CEMETERY - Named for the Charles and Matilda Stoeltzing family. Last burial 1898
QUISLING CEMETERY - Sold for $1 by Einer and Christine Quisling. Burials prior to 1865, unrecorded. ALTAMONT CEMETERY - Contains Potters Field. Burials before 1874 were not recorded.
ST. JOHN LUTHERAN CEMETERY - Previoiusly known as: Volland, Grobengiesser, Avondale, St. John German, Lutheran, and St. John Evangelical Lutheran. First burial 1884. PLEASANT HILL CEMETERY - Originally Saunders, dated 1870.
CENTER HILL CEMETERY - 1886. LOGAN CEMETERY - In 1859, Augustus G. Logan granted Logan land to be used as a public burying place.
WOLF CREEK CEMETERY - Also called Stringtown, originally Roberds Grave Yard, a private burial ground, circa 1871. Currently owned by Wolf Creek Generating Station. FRENCH RIDGE CEMETERY - Also called Star, formed for burial of early French Ridge settlers. First burial, 1859.
GLENDALE CEMETERY - Donated 1872 by Andrew and Nancy Jackson. PRAIRIE VIEW CEMETERY - Original Union, circa, 1873.
HALLS SUMMIT CEMETERY - Deeded 1890 for $1. WAVERLY/ST. JOSEPH CEMETERY - Waverly First recorded for $1 in 1885. St. Joseph deeded 1900 for $1.
PLEASANT VIEW CEMETERY - Also called Agricola, recorded 1884. ROCK CREEK CEMETERY - Also called Cummings, first burial 1877.
KEY WEST CEMETERY - Community named for an old sailor who'd said it was "as desolate a place as Key West Florida." First burial 1862. KESNER CEMETERY - Henry Kesner family plot, no date recorded.
VETETO CEMETERY - Dated 1866. OLD MORROW CEMETERY - Located on Gilbert property in LeRoy. No stones, last burial 1886.
JAGER CEMETERY - Located on the Dale Luthi farm in Gridley. Circa 1880. NEOSHO CITY CEMETERY - Community was located on the bluff on the south side of Big Creek, circa 1860.

Come visit us in Burlington, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Wolf Creek Environmental Education Area

The Wolf Creek Environmental Education Area opened in September of 1994 offers visitors a unique opportunity to learn about the nature of eastern Kansas. The area consists of 160 acres on which there are three self-guided trails that start and end at the "silo."

Burlington, KS Nature Centers

Chamber of Commerce and Visitor's Center - Caboose

Coffey County Chamber of Commerce Visitors Center is located in a bright red Sante Fe Caboose at the intersection of Highway 75

Burlington, KS Railroad History

Camping, Fishing & Picnicking

People come from miles around to use the many parks and recreation facilities in Burlington. Burlington has five recreational parks: Conrad Park, Drake Park and City Dam, Jones Youth Recreational Park, and Kelley Park, and Oak Park

Burlington, KS Recreation

Old Excelsior Mill

In early Coffey County history, farmers brought their wheat to this well-known Burlington landmark situated at the east end of Kennebec Street. The elevator building is all that remains of the Excelsior Water Mills, built in 1869

Burlington, KS Historic Mills

1896 School House

The Rural Dale School which was located east of LeRoy, Kansas in Coffey County, was recently donated to the Coffey County Museum by Irene Woods. The 1896 school house has been moved next to the Museum and is currently undergoing restoration. Restoration should be completed early in 1997.

Burlington, KS Historic Schoolhouses

Things to do Cemeteries near Burlington, KS

Columbus Cemeteries

Columbus' cemeteries have records dating back to the 1800s....

Elk Falls Cemetery

History buffs will find much of interest here. In addition to the graves of Prudence Crandall and her brother Hezekiah, sever...

Teacher of the Plains Grave

Frank Hobbs was the first teacher in Elk County in 1869. In 1933, each student in the county contributed a nickel to build th...