Cuero (promounced, KWER-o) has an unusual name derivation: A local creek was notorious for trapping cattle in bogs, but skinners salvaged the hides. The Indian word for rawhides translated to Spanish as cuero. When the town was founded in 1872, the town took the name of the creek. Once a round-up point for a leg of the Chisholm Trail, it was a true "wild west" outpost where women and children were forbidden after dark.
Today, as the seat of DeWitt County, Cuero is a bountiful agricultural area among state leaders in cattle and calves, as well as, pecans, peaches, apples, and fresh vegetables, and substantial natural gas production. In 1999, the Texas State Legislature designated DeWitt County as the "Wildflower Capital of Texas," due to the more than 100 different species of wildflowers present.
Rich with small-town history, 50 structures are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Three historic districts, two residential and one commercial, encompass Main Street. The 1896 courthouse is among the most handsome in Texas.
Swimming, picnicking, fishing, golf and a basketball pavilion are designed in a 200-acre newly updated municipal park. Annual events include the Shakespeare-in-the-Country production in June, the annual 4th of July celebration, and the Turkeyfest Celebration every October.