Along the Texas Pioneer Trail (Texas 159) lies the city formed by three families of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred. Later German, Czech, and Anglo-American immigrant helped to form the community. Fayetteville had several names: Wadis Post Office, Alexander's Voting Place and Lick Skillet (given by settlers arriving too late for festive occasions, found food devoured, and were told to "lick the skillet.") Fayetteville was officially named by Philip J. Shaver, who laid out the town, for his birthplace, Fayetteville, NC. The town had one of first bands in Texas, composed of German musicians, who played for meetings and festivals statewide. For more than 50 years a Czech band, conducted by Frank and John Baca, provided dance music and "Baca" music still enjoyed today.
In the middle of the town square sits the 1880 precinct house that was built by Fayette county residents to avoid trips to the county courthouse in La Grange. Benches around the square invite citizens and visitors "to sit a while." Its Seth Thomas tower clock, donated by the Ladies Do Your Duty Club in 1937, chimes on the hour. Antique stores, art galleries and restaurants surround the town square. On the 1st and 3rd Saturday nights a Baca Band fills the night with music on the square. Bed and breakfast guest cottages are available in the town and surrounding area.