LASR.net Homepage




Menu

First Bank of Kingfisher


category : Museums
First Bank of Kingfisher D.F. Doak and his brother, Walter, opened the Bank of Kingfisher in a tent on April 22, 1889 - the day of the land run. It stood on the corner of Main and Admire near the center of Kingfisher.

Almost immediately, the Doaks built a 20' by 32' frame building to replace the tent. The frame building is preserved here on the grounds of the Chisholm Trail Museum.

The Doaks soon built a two story brick building to house the bank and moved the frame building to the rear of the lot where it housed numerous businesses. Mrs. Ethel Zellers Hills donated the frame building to the Chisholm Trail Museum and it was moved in September, 1970.

The bank fixtures - the cage and some furnishings - came from Okeene banker, James Durham. The furnishings came from three different banks in Okeene; the Citizens State Bank, the Farmers and merchants Bank, and the State Guaranty Bank. Some of the other records and equipment came from the Kingfisher Federal Savings and Loan, now National Bank of Commerce in Kingfisher. The bank bench came from Farmers and Merchants Bank in Hennessey.

In 1972, the fixtures were used in filming the movie, "Dillinger."


Admission: $2 per person / Donations also accepted
Hours: Tuesday through Saturday -- 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Sunday & Monday (and legal holidays)
Address: 605 Zellers Ave.
Phone: 405-375-5176
Fax: 405-375-5176
Museum Complex - Directions: From U.S. Hwy. 81 in Kingfisher, five blocks west on Seay Ave., one block north to Zellers Avenue

Come visit us in Kingfisher, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Abraham Jefferson Seay

Born in Virginia on November 28, 1832

Kingfisher, OK Famous People

Cole Cabin

A more ordinary settler family was that of Samuel and Dorothy Cole. They built this cabin southeast of Hennessey in 1890. It was built of oak logs cut on the farm and hauled to the building site in a wagon drawn by a yoke of oxen.

Kingfisher, OK Pioneer History

Dalton Cabin

In 1889, the parents of the Dalton gang - Adaline Younger Dalton and James Lewis Dalton - planned to move to Oklahoma. Mr. Dalton died on the way, leaving Adaline with three young children to raise: Nancy, Leona, and Simon. An older, feeble-minded son named Charles Benjamin accompanied them.

Kingfisher, OK Pioneer History

First Bank of Kingfisher

D.F. Doak and his brother, Walter, opened the Bank of Kingfisher in a tent on April 22, 1889 - the day of the land run. It stood on the corner of Main and Admire near the center of Kingfisher. Almost immediately, the Doaks built a 20' by 32'

Kingfisher, OK Museums

Outdoor Murals

"Kingfisher, OK" (Main Street) - artists, Palmer, Ellison, Nix, Stone, and town folk Newspaper Bldg., Southeast corner of Main and Roberts

Kingfisher, OK Arts

Things to do Museums near Kingfisher, OK

Ad Buck Museum of Science and History

The A.D. Buck Museum of Science and History was founded in 1913 by Mr. C. E. Johnson who was a biology instructor. One of his...