LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Fort Leavenworth, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

The Rookery

The Rookery at 12-14 Sumner Place is the oldest house in Kansas. It was completed in 1834 and was the first permanent post headquarters building. Lieutenant Douglas MacArthur lived here in the early 1900s. The building is a Registered National Landmark.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Famous Homes

Syracuse Houses

The two frame houses are known as the Syracuse Houses because they were designed in 1855 by E.V. Carr, a prominent architect from Syracuse, New York. Lt. Colonel George Custer and his wife lived in one of these houses for a few months in 1868.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Buildings

Barth Hall and the "Beehive"

Barth Hall, the building on the corner of Kearney and McCellan Avenues, was the home in 1881 of the School of Application for Cavalry and Infantry, the predecessor of the Command and General Staff College. The large building directly west of Barth Hall is known as the "Beehive." Built in 1882

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Buildings

Oregon and Santa Fe Trails

In the 1830s, settlers heading for the Oregon and Santa Fe Trails crossed the Missouri River at this point. Teams of oxen pulled the loaded wagons through the "cut " in the hillside you can still see today.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Pioneer Life

Memorial Chapel

Built in 1878 by prison labor from stone quarried on the post and, today, is considered to be an outstanding architectural "gem" in this area.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Churches

Things to do near Fort Leavenworth, KS

Heritage Park Golf Course

Course Access: PublicHoles: 18Reserve Advance Tee Times: 2 days...

Republican Party in Kansas

It was on May 18, 1859, that the Republican Party was organized in Kansas by Horace Greeley at the Osage Valley Hotel which s...

Wolf Creek Golf Club

Course Access: PrivateHoles: 18Reserve Advance Tee Times: Yes...

Historic Waysides Tour at Fort Leavenworth

In 1996 Fort Leavenworth was designated a Registered National Historic Landmark and a portion of the fort is on the Na...