LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Fort Leavenworth, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Syracuse Houses

The two frame houses are known as the Syracuse Houses because they were designed in 1855 by E.V. Carr, a prominent architect from Syracuse, New York. Lt. Colonel George Custer and his wife lived in one of these houses for a few months in 1868.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Buildings

Main Parade Ground

The main parade ground was originally the center of post activities. Post reviews and parades were held here during negotiations with federal officials in the 1800s.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Military History

Barth Hall and the "Beehive"

Barth Hall, the building on the corner of Kearney and McCellan Avenues, was the home in 1881 of the School of Application for Cavalry and Infantry, the predecessor of the Command and General Staff College. The large building directly west of Barth Hall is known as the "Beehive." Built in 1882

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Buildings

Frontier Army Museum

The Frontier Army Museum depicts the Frontier Army (1817-1917) and history of Fort Leavenworth (1827-present). The original collection began in 1939 when the wagon shop at Fort Leavenworth closed and the horse-drawn vehicles were relocated and called the "Old Rolling Wheels Museum". In 1960

Fort Leavenworth, KS Museums

French Cannons

These beautiful artifacts of bygone wars remain a mystery at Fort Leavenworth. They were cast in the 1700s in Paris; the name of the foundryman and place and date of manufacture are on each piece. How or why they came to Leavenworth is unknown.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Military History

Things to do near Fort Leavenworth, KS

Hillsdale Wildlife Area

Located in the transition zone between the prairie lands of the west and the mixed hardwood forests of the east, the project ...