Fort Sill Museum

category : Museums
Fort Sill Museum The Fort Sill Museum has 26 historic buildings including seven with exhibits on the Frontier Army, Native Americans and Field Artillery. One of the these, the Old Post Guardhouse erected in 1873, is famous as the holding facility for Geronimo. It now houses exhibits commemorating the horse soldiers, foot soldiers and Native Americans of the Southern Plains.

Fort Sill is proud of its great heritage and cordially invites you to visit its museum buildings.

Guided Tours for large groups may be arranged by contacting the museum.

Persons wishing to donate items to the museum, provide historical information, arrange museum tours or gain access to research facilities should come to the museum administrative office at the same address.

Admission: Free Admission
Hours: Tuesday through Saturday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, except Nov. 23, Dec. 25 - 26 and Jan. 1 - 2
Address: 437 Quanah Road
Phone: 580-442-5123

Fort Sill Museum Complex

1. POST HEADQUARTERS - Erected in 1870, this building served as the Post headquarters until 1911 when the New Post was built further west. This building is not an exhibit area but does house the museum's administrative offices. General inquiries about the museum may be made here.

2. VISITOR'S CENTER - Originally designed to function as a warehouse, this building was primarily used as an Infantry Barracks. It later served as a school for children and an Artillery classroom. Today, it houses exhibits gallery and theater relating to the interpretation of Fort Sill history.

3. FIELD ARTILLERY SCHOOL OF FIRE - The first headquaters of the U.S. Army Field Artillery School was born in this little frame house in 1911. The building has been restored to its original appearance and contains exhibits on the beginnings of Field Artillery training at Fort Sill.Chapel

4. POST CHAPEL - Built in 1875, the Post Chapel became a focus of religious and recreational activities for the frontier soldiers. The vestry on the north side was added in 1930.

Services have been conducted here continuously since its founding.

5. CAVALRY BARRACKS - These three barracks, consisting of squad rooms, kitchens and mess rooms, housed many famous cavalry regiments from 1870 to 1905. Today, many of the museum's artifact collections are maintained here and are accessible by special arrangements only.

6. INFANTRY BARRACKS - The Larter Art Gallery is located in the west end of the recently restored Infantry Barracks (open Wednesday - Sunday). The museum's extensive archival collections are maintained in the east section and are accessible by appointment only.

7. POST GUARDHOUSE - The Post Guardhouse was built in 1873 to replace the basement prison in the Cavalry Barracks just north of here. Today its main floor and basement cells are devoted to exhibits commemorating the hard riding horse soldiers, the dusty, slogging foot soldiers, and the proud Indian tribes of the South Plains. It is famous as the holding facility for the great Apache warrior, Geronimo.

8. COMMISSARY STOREHOUSE - Since its birth in 1872, this building has served many purposes for the post. Today, the history of the American Field Artillery from Colonial times through the Civil War to 1900, is enshrined in exhibits featuring muzzle loading cannons, uniforms, small arms, gunner's tools and horse equipment.Cannon Walk

9. CANNON WALK - This outdoor exhibit area encompasses numerous examples of 20th century Field Artillery weapons from around the world. The largest piece exhibited here is "Atomic Annie," the 280mm gun that fired the world's first atomic artillery round at Frenchman's Flat, Nevada on 25 May 1953.

10. QUARTERMASTER CORRAL - The "Old Stone Corral," a stockade type structure with loopholes for defense, was built by the troopers in 1870 after a horse stealing raid y the Kiowas. It was intended to protect the Quartermaster's livestock and to serve as a refuge for the garrison in case of attack by Indians. Present day exhibits contain horse drawn vehicles, a replica of the Post Trader's Store, and blacksmithing. The Old Post Gift Shop is located in the south wing of the building.

Sherman House11. SHERMAN HOUSE - The historic residence of Fort Sill's Commanding General, Phillip H. Sheridan, is located on the north side of the Old Post Quadrangle.

Come visit us in Fort Sill, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Geronimo's Grave

In 1894, Geronimo, the infamous Apache warrior, and 341

Fort Sill, OK Cemeteries

Fort Sill Museum

The Fort Sill Museum has 26 historic buildings including seven with exhibits on the Frontier Army, Native Americans and Field Artillery. One of the these, the Old Post Guardhouse erected in 1873

Fort Sill, OK Museums

Fort Sill's Leisure and Recreation

Fort Sill's Leisure and Recreation is open to active-duty, retired, and warrant officers, and most Department of the Defense civilians. Public access is limited to certain activities. Please contact the Public Affairs Office at 580-442-4500 for further information.

Fort Sill, OK Recreation

Fort Sill History

The site of Fort Sill was staked out on January 8, 1869 by Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan who led a Campaign into Indian Territory to stop hostile tribes from raiding border settlements in Texas Kansas. Sheridan'

Fort Sill, OK Forts

Fort Sill Golf Club

Course Access: Military
Holes: 18
Reserve Advance Tee Times: 4

Fort Sill, OK Golf Courses

Things to do Museums near Fort Sill, OK

Fire, Transportation, and Farm Museum

The museum features antique Rolls Royces, fire trucks, buggies, saddles, Army and Navy relics and an African spear collection...

Marlow Museum

The sons of Dr. Marlow were accused of stealing cattle from drovers on the Chisholm Trail. Some say the boys were wrongfully ...