LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Frontier Army Museum


category : Museums
Frontier Army Museum The Frontier Army Museum depicts the Frontier Army (1817-1917) and history of Fort Leavenworth (1827-present). The original collection began in 1939 when the wagon shop at Fort Leavenworth closed and the horse-drawn vehicles were relocated and called the "Old Rolling Wheels Museum". In 1960, the Museum was officially recognized as an Army Museum and has continued to preserve one of the finest collections of nineteenth century military artifacts in the country.

The museum collection of over five thousand items consists of weapons, uniforms, equipment, and vehicles used by Frontier Army soldiers as well as many Fort Leavenworth related items. Two of the premier pieces are the 1832 General Officer Coat worn by General Henry Leavenworth and a Curtiss JN4D aircraft, of the type used by General Pershing during the "Punitive Expedition" into Mexico. It displays one of the largest collections of military carriages on exhibit; a carriage used by Abraham Lincoln in 1859; and the history of the Frontier Army in the West.

The Fort Leavenworth gallery highlights the importance of Fort Leavenworth's role in the exploration and expansion of the nation throughout the nineteenth century as well as its continuing role in soldier education. The Museum's main gallery highlights the efforts of the Frontier Army in exploration, expansion and protection of the Trans-Mississippi West from the Lewis and Clark Expedition (1804) to the chase of Pancho Villa by General John Pershing (1916). The museum offers a unique look at the tools of soldiering used throughout this time period.


Admission: The museum is free and open to the public. Free parking in designated areas.
Hours: 9a.m. to 4p.m., Tuesday - Friday; 10a.m. to 4p.m., Saturday
Address: 100 Reynolds Avenue
Phone: 913-684-3767
Our Website:garrison.leavenworth.army.mil/
Email: usarmy.leavenworth.tradoc.mbx.csi-frontier-army-museum@mail.mil

Come visit us in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

U.S. Disciplinary Barracks

The "DB," as it is known, was established as a military prison in 1873. The buildings inside date from 1863 to 1964. The DB is the only military maximum security facility. This USDB closed in 2003 and the inmates were moved to the new USDB on the west side of the fort. The 'castle'

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Buildings

St. Ignatius Chapel

The St. Ignatius Chapel was built here in 1889 and replaced the original chapel which had been built near here in 1871.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Churches

National Cemetery

Designated a National Cemetery by President Abraham Lincoln in 1862 along with eleven others, military graves date back to 1846. Today, more than 20,000 veterans representing every war since 1812 are buried in the cemetery. Two soldiers from Operation Desert Storm were interred here in 1991.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Cemeteries

Barth Hall and the "Beehive"

Barth Hall, the building on the corner of Kearney and McCellan Avenues, was the home in 1881 of the School of Application for Cavalry and Infantry, the predecessor of the Command and General Staff College. The large building directly west of Barth Hall is known as the "Beehive." Built in 1882

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Buildings

Buffalo Soldier Monument

The Buffalo Soldier Monument, the brainchild of General Colin Powell, is a recent addition to Fort Leavenworth's historic landmarks. Dedicated in 1992, the monument honors the African-American soldiers who served in the 9th and 10th Cavalry Regiments.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Monuments

Things to do Museums near Fort Leavenworth, KS