LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Gladewater, Texas

Gladewater was settled by settlers from an earlier community called St. Clair who moved en masse a few miles east to the Texas and Pacific RR when it built through in 1872. In 1931 oil was discovered and the population doubled to 1,000 overnight, reaching 10,000 at the height of the boom. (One of Texas' first derricks and pumping units is preserved in the 100 block of W. Commerce along with a historical marker.)

Gladewater is now a trade center for agricultural and lumbering interests. The "Antique Capital of East Texas" city boasts more than two dozen antique shops.

Annual events include the East Texas Gusher Days held in April, the Gladewater Round Up in June, and the Gladewater Arts and Crafts Festival each September.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Helen Lee Estate Daffodil Gardens

Spectacular display of blooms draws visitors from wide area. Open during blooming season (mid-Feb. through late-Feb.)

Gladewater, TX Botanical Gardens


St. Clair Museum of Gladewater

Mementos and artifacts of city's early days. Open Mon. - Fri. 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. at 817

Gladewater, TX Museums

Gladewater Country Club

Course Access: Semi-Private
Holes: 9
Reserve Advance Tee Times:

Gladewater, TX Golf Courses

Shallow Creek Country Club

Course Access: Semi-Private
Holes: 18
Reserve Advance Tee Times: 7

Gladewater, TX Golf Courses

Things to do near Gladewater, TX

Polk County Museum

Historical items including Early American glassware, Indian artifacts, tools and relics of early settlers, early logging and ...

Big Thicket Information Station

Details about the Big Thicket National Preserve, interpretive panels, information on trails and boating. Hiking trails of var...

Sam Houston National Forest

City is near eastern edge of forest. Double Lake Recreation Area offers camping facilities on small lake (not found on most m...

Fish Creek Golf Club -West Nine

Course Access: PublicHoles: 9Reserve Advance Tee Times: Yes...

Kirby-Hill House Museum

Built in 1902 by timber tycoon John Henry Kirby for his brother James. The house was occupied by his family for 85 years. The...