Goose Creek Church, the parish church of St. James, is one of the oldest in the state. The very attractive present structure dates from before 1719, and is supposed to have been spared by the British during the Revolution because of the British Royal arms over the chancel. An exact reproduction of the arms may still be seen in the interior of the church: the original was destroyed in the earthquake of 1886. On Sunday, July 15, 1781, Wade Hampton made a raid into Goose Creek Parish, surrounding the church while services were in progress and making prisoners of some Loyalists in the congregation.
Address: US 52
Goose Creek,SC 29445
Come visit us in Goose Creek, South Carolina