Prior to settlement in 1850, Grapevine was a well-watered location on the blackland prairie and the site of important negotiations between the Indians and Gen. Sam Houston, which led to the signing of the Treaty of Birds Fort which opened North Texas settlement. It was named for the wild mustang grapes that grew throughout the area.
Much of Main Street Grapevine is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. A walking map tour of the historic renovated downtown area is available at the Convention and Visitors Bureau in the re-created Wallis Hotel building. The original 1891 hotel was near the railroad depot. Closed in 1926, the original hotel building was demolished in the 1930s.
The city’s annual GrapeFest celebration is held the second weekend in September, and in 2003 it was selected as one of the "Top 100" events in North America by the American Bus Association.
Shoppers find bargains galore at Grapevine Mills mall and the Bass Pro Shops, both just off Texas 121 north of D/FW Airport. Three championship public golf courses are open daily.