LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Grave of the Old Shepherd


category : Cemeteries
Grave of the Old Shepherd

In his book, "Old Matt's View of It," J.K. Ross wrote about the death of the Old Shepherd from Mutton Hollow. He was gored to death by a bull. A Civil War tombstone marks the grave of James Marion Wood, who met this untimely fate in 1910. Wood and author, Harold Bell Wright, were fellow residents of Mt. Vernon in 1897, before both moved to the area where Wright wrote his notes for the book that was to make the Branson area famous. The characters for Jim and Sammy Lane and Preachin" Bill were also based on Lawrence County friends of Wright.



Address: The grave is located in Williams Cemetery, 3 miles west on Highway "V"

Come visit us in Mt. Vernon, Missouri

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Frisco Caboose and Visitor Center

Mt. Vernon Chamber of Commerce operates an office and visitor center at the start of the Ozark Mountain Parkway (Route 265)

Mt. Vernon, MO Railroad History

Big Spring

When the Moore family first settled there, there were Indian camps all along the bottom land. This spring puts out up to 13 million gallons of water a day, and has been a popular family picnic site for over a hundred years. It is located just beyond Rebel's Bluff and Old Shepherd'

Mt. Vernon, MO Archaeology

Harold Bell Wright

Many know that Harold Bell Wright's, "Shepherd of the Hills" was the most widely read book of fiction in the history of publishing! Few know, however, that many of the places, events, and characters are based on actual models. There really was an "old shepherd of Mutton Hollow,&

Mt. Vernon, MO Famous People

The 2nd "Old Jail"

The county's first log jail burned in 1854, and a brick structure was built on Walter Street a block west of the square. It is presently undergoing reconstruction for historical preservation. It was used until 1868, and had an original cost of $3,500.

Mt. Vernon, MO Pioneer Life


Things to do Cemeteries near Mt. Vernon, MO

Modoc Tribe Cemetery

The original Modoc Tribal Members came to Oklahoma in November of 1873 as prisoners of war. The only original alloted land...