Historic features include courthouse (1883), first Catholic Church (1875), first schoolhouse (1883), and Zero Stone placed by survey party in 1859, used as origin point for all land surveys in this part of West Texas. Nearby St. Stephens Episcopal Church (1872)
Typical frontier military post established 1858 as Camp Stockton; abandoned in 1886. Fort consisted of 35 buildings made of adobe and hand-hewn limestone. Four original buildings remain: Three of the eight officers' quarters, and guardhouse with jailer'