LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Junction City, Kansas

Junction City, Kansas

From the very beginning, the people of Junction City have demonstrated a remarkable capacity to accept and absorb newcomers. Settlers and travelers came to this spot at the junction of two rivers from a variety of cultures, denominations and ethnic backgrounds. Differences may have been noted, but it seems they were not dwelt upon for long. Very early, Junction Citians were working together to create a town with all the facilities and atmosphere necessary to nurture growth and quality family life, even on the frontier.

Junction City had four names before it finally setteled with the name Junction City. On February 9, 1859, in a special act, the Kansas Territorial Legislature incorporated the town of Junction City. The new town grew rapidly and within ten years had become a thriving community which continues today.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Geary County State Fishing Lake

As an alternative to the two big reservoirs at Milford Lake and Tuttle Creek Lake in this area, Geary County State Lake is a smaller body of water with 99 acres of secluded fishing, free camping, hunting, and hiking. The lake is primarily intended to be used for fishing and no swimming is allowed.

Junction City, KS Recreation

Spring Valley School

The Spring Valley Heritage Site, located west of Junction City at the intersection of Highway 18 and Spring Valley Road features a restored 19th century one-room schoolhouse and related out buildings. An 1870 period homesteader's hewn-log cabin has been relocated at the site.

Junction City, KS Historic Schoolhouses

Milford Nature Center

The Milford Nature Center is designed to give visitors a better understanding of and appreciation for the natural communities in Kansas. A trip to the Nature Center will reveal that Kansas has a rich abundance and variety of wildlife. Adjacent to the Nature Center is the state'

Junction City, KS Nature Centers

Geary County Historical Society Museum

The three-story, native limestone building which houses the Geary County Historical Museum, has been described by architects as a "unique and magnificent structure and an outstanding example of the stonecutter's art."

The building, originally the Junction City High School, was constructed in 1

Junction City, KS Museums

Episcopal Church of the Covenant

This historic limestone church was built in 1859 and is the oldest Episcopal Church in continuous use in Kansas.

Junction City, KS Historic Churches

Things to do near Junction City, KS

1917 Sante Fe Depot

Restored Santa Fe Depot built in 1917. Presently used as corporate office for business. ...

Spring Hill Municipal Golf Course

Course Access: PublicHoles: 9Reserve Advance Tee Times: Yes...