LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Fort Leavenworth, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

U.S. Disciplinary Barracks

The "DB," as it is known, was established as a military prison in 1873. The buildings inside date from 1863 to 1964. The DB is the only military maximum security facility. This USDB closed in 2003 and the inmates were moved to the new USDB on the west side of the fort. The 'castle'

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Buildings

Sutler's Home

Built in 1841 as the residence of the post sutler, Hiram Rich, who supplied the troops with such "nonissued items" as tobacco, writing paper, and whiskey.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Famous Homes

Old Stone Wall

The Stone wall behind and across the street from Grant's statue is a favorite with photographers. The wall was restored in the early part of this century by the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Landmarks

St. Ignatius Chapel

The St. Ignatius Chapel was built here in 1889 and replaced the original chapel which had been built near here in 1871. Historical Marker (1967) - "

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Churches

Headquarters Area

Headquarters area buildings are named for Generals Sherman, Grant, and Sheridan. They were built from 1859 to 1904 and are on the site of the former soldiers burying ground.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Buildings

Things to do near Fort Leavenworth, KS

St. Andrews Golf Club

St. Andrews is an 18-hole course that is well balanced and challenging for both beginners and scratch golfers. The front a...