Longview was settled as the seat of Gregg County in the early 1800s. There was a period of rapid development by planters from the Old South after 1850. Longview was founded on 100 acres purchased by the Southern Pacific Railroad for one gold dollar ($1) and named by railroad surveyors impressed by the long-distance view from the top of Rock Hill. Discovery of oil in 1930s more than tripled the population of 6,000.
Today Longview is a dynamic industrial center claiming over 200 manufacturing firms, and home of LeTourneau University.