Los Fresnos, Texas
Located in south central Cameron County, Los Fresnos was named for the fresnos (ash) trees scattered in the woods and along streams. In 1912, Lon C. Hill, an early land owner, formed a company to develop a canal system which would use the Rio Grande River to irrigate land for farming. Railroad construction in the early 1900s began to bring settlers to the area, and by 1915 a post office was established. Because of the fertile, irrigated land, farm products increased and with the long growing season in the Valley, farming flourished. Today the city is still surrounded by fertile farm/ranch land. Major crops are cotton, sugar cane, sorghum, and citrus.