LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Madonna of the Trail


category : Memorials
Madonna of  the Trail This striking statue, depicting a pioneer mother with two children, pays tribute to the sturdy women of covered wagon days. The 10-feet-tall figure is made of pink Algonite stone and was erected in 1928 by the Daughters of the American Revolution whose vision inspired sculptor August Leimbach from Kaltennordheim, Germany.

Identical Madonna statues were erected in historically significant communities in 11 other states that connect the east coast to the west along the trails established by the Old Trails Association. Judge Harry Truman was on the committee to assist in making the selection of the trails to follow. The trails pass through 12 states from West Virginia, through Ohio, Missouri, Illinois, Colorado, California, to name a few of the twelve. Council Grove received the statue as it was the place of the signing of the treaty with the Osage Indians to allow for the commerce between Indenpendence Missouri and Santa Fe New Mexico.

The National Society Daughters of the American Revolution and Old Trails Associations and the Kansas Historical Society also have numerous granite markers from Missouri to southwest Kansas along the Santa Fe Trail.


Address: Corner of Union and Main Streets
Phone: 800-732-9211
Our Email: visitors@councilgrove.com
Our Website:www.MadonnaoftheTrail.com

Come visit us in Council Grove, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Terwilliger Home

With its foundation laid in Kansas Territory, the Terwilliger Home was built alongside the famed Santa Fe Trail as Kansas became the 34th state. Built by Abraham and Mary Rawlinson in 1860-61, this stone home was the last house freighters passed going West when leaving Council Grove as late as 18

Council Grove, KS Historic Homes

Kaw Mission

The Kaw (or Kansa) Indians lived in three villages southeast of Council Grove from 1848 until their removal south to Indian Territory in 1873. Methodist Episcopal missionaries built this school for Kaw children in 1851

Council Grove, KS Museums

Council Grove National Bank Building

Completed in 1887, this bank that anchors a corner of downtown is a fine example of Western Commerical architecture. The exterior of the building was refurbished in 1974 and, after a 1978 fire, additional work restored the lobby to an appearance reminiscent of 1887. Listed on the

Council Grove, KS Historic Buildings

Atkinson Log House

This building houses the two-story Atkinson Log House, constructed in 1858 on Clark's Creek near Large Spring near Latimer, and moved to this site in 1996. It is one of the two oldest wooden structures known to remain in Morris County.

Council Grove, KS Pioneer Life

Old Bell Monument

Perched high on a hill overlooking the town and Neosho River valley below, this bell was erected in 1866 to warn townsfolk of Indian raids. It also served as a school and church bell for nearly 30 years.

Council Grove, KS Monuments

Things to do Memorials near Council Grove, KS