Also known as Dolores Mission, was established 1716 by the Domingo Ramon expedition. Abandoned due to French invasion in 1719; restored in 1721 and became headquarters for Zacatecan missions in East Texas. Abandoned 1773 when Spanish evacuated all East Texas missions. Until recently, only historical markers identified the site. Today, a city park marks the location of the historic mission complete with RV campsites, tent camping, group shelters and walking trails. There is also a visitor center, an archaeological laboratory and an archival research library. The parkland stretches along both sides of Texas 147, four blocks south of the courthouse.
Come visit us in San Augustine, Texas