LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Mitchell Community College


category : Colleges
1852. Main building is a three-story Greek Revival structure with Doric piano mobile portico. In 1856 the school was known as Concord Female College, in 1873 - Simonton Female College, and in 1884 - Statesville Female College. The female college was built as a counterpart to Davidson College - an all male college at the time. In 1917 the name was changed to Mitchell to honor the sisters who presided over the college from 1875-1883. In 1932 the school became co-educational. Then in 1973 it became part of the state system of community colleges.




Address:
West Broad St
Statesville, NC 28677
Phone: (704)878-3200


Come visit us in Statesville, North Carolina

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Weddings and Family Reunions

Historic home built in 1812. Birthplace of North Carolina Lt. Governor Wilford D. Turner. Also home of NC Senator C. V. Henkel from 1942 to 1971. The owners since 1981

Statesville, NC Weddings

Historic Walton and Gage Store

1876. Two-story, red brick Italianate building incorporating Gothic features. Walton and Gage was a purveyor of fine women'

Statesville, NC Historic Buildings


Historic First National Bank Building

1890. Three-story brick building topped by corner mansard clock tower. The bank was organized in May 1887 and in the fall of 1889 construction began on the building, which was ready for occupancy in mid-March 1890 with George F. Sheperd as president. In 1929

Statesville, NC Historic Buildings

Tom Dula

Tom Dula's legend was outlined in the Kingston Trio's song "Hang Down Your Head, Tom Dooley". The tale of Tom Dula is one of love, betrayal, and murder. In 1866

Statesville, NC Other Attractions

Things to do Colleges near Statesville, NC

Cleveland Community College

A variety of art displays, theatrical performances and music events throughout the year, a walking track, etc. ...

Mitchell Community College

1852. Main building is a three-story Greek Revival structure with Doric piano mobile portico. In 1856 the school was known ...

Lenoir-Rhyne University

Four-year College in the South Atlantic Conference. ...

St. Augustine's College Chapel

Built in 1895, the chapel is home to the bishop's chair, a memorial to the Right Reverend Henry Beard Delany. He was the fir...

Dunn Center at Wesleyan College

The beautiful Dunn Center for the Performing Arts hosts some of the finest cultural entertainment found in the area and is ho...