LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Mueller-Schmidt House Museum


category : Museums
Mueller-Schmidt House Museum Built in 1881, the Mueller-Schmidt House is the oldest Dodge City house still standing on its original site, and remains Ford County's "Home of Stone," A Cattleman's Mansion.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it was built with 21-inch limestone walls by John Mueller, the first bootmaker in old Dodge City. It was later purchased in 1890 by pioneer blacksmith, Adam Schmidt. Two of Adam and Elizabeth Schmidt's children lived in the house until 1960. Ford County purchased the house in 1965.

There is a special collection on Pioneer Mothers. Original furniture from the Mueller and Schmidt families is featured, along with artifacts from the pioneers of Dodge City, including Robert M. Wright, Charles Rath, Bat Masterson, George M. Hoover, Wyatt Earp & Ham Bell.

Come walk back into history, standing where the pioneers of the Old West and Dodge City lived.

The home is open for viewing beginning in June through August. The home is closed the remainder of the year except by appointment.


Hours: Summer Hours: Memorial Day-Labor Day
Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, 2-4 p.m.
Address: Ave. A and Vine St.
Phone: 620-227-6791
Our Website:www.kansashistory.us/fordco/house.html

Come visit us in Dodge City, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Dodge City Trolley

Learn Dodge City's history and folklore on a narrated tour of sites where history was made. Visit original locations of the Longbranch Saloon, Gospel Hill, the "deadline" and Front Street where "shoot outs" occurred in the early days of Dodge City. Tour Fort Dodge and see the Fort's 1860

Dodge City, KS Tours

Carnegie Center For The Arts

Listed on the National Register of Historic Sites, the center features a variety of art exhibits. The building is a former Carnegie Library constructed in 1907. Rounded architectural features create one of the more unique of Carnegies'

Dodge City, KS Arts

Fort Dodge Cemetery

Both civilians and soldiers were buried in the military cemetery. The saying then was "the rich are buried at the Fort and the cowhands and poor are buried on Boot Hill or gone to "hell." Friends and family buried Marshal Ed Masterson, Bat's brother, at Fort Dodge in 1878

Dodge City, KS Cemeteries

Cowboy Statue On Boot Hill

Dodge City's oldest monument (1927)

Dodge City, KS Arts

Fort Dodge

Fort Dodge was established April 10, 1865 by Captain Henry Pierce, 11th Kansas Cavalry, by order of Major General Grenville M. Dodge, commanding the department. Although there is some doubt, the post was probably named for Colonel Henry Dodge, 1st U. S. Dragoons.

Dodge City, KS Forts

Things to do Museums near Dodge City, KS